My headlights dont work! Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrisdidwht

Reaction score
I have a 93 sierra 1500.
My headlights randomly stopped working. Not while driving. I still have all the other lights. I replaced the switch. The relay. Checked all the fuses. I have power at the switch but none at the connectors at the bulbs. I cant figure it out. Im so fustrated that im thinking about selling the truck. I have only been daytime driving it for months. Every google search i have done is for 96-98 trucks. I dont have DRLs!!! They came on again one morning. And i parked the truck and they dont work again. Somebody please help me.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
High/low beam dimmer switch may have gone bad, or connector to it burnt. On the pre-1995 column like your 1993 model, it's about midway down the column inside the cab; has a metal rod going to it that is actuated by your turn signal lever. It's the one with the blue plastic in this pic, just past the column support. Color may be different on yours.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had issues with my headlights for the last few months and I finally found the issue yesterday.

My headlights would flicker on/off and I thought the old switch might be the issue. I replaced the switch a few weeks ago, and while it seemed to work initially, the lights would not come on a few days later. When I pulled out the dash panel to check the switch everything worked fine. When I reinstalled the panel the lights stopped working. What I found was that the connector that plugs into the light switch was the issue. The plastic was burnt brown in a few places and any tension on the connector/wiring caused the lights to stop working.

A new connector was $41 locally, $34 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Wells-578-He...+connector&dpPl=1&dpID=41ZANV7RKuL&ref=plSrch

I decided instead to cut the wires from the original and use individual female spade connectors for each wire to the blades on the back of the switch. It works great, and it only cost $3.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These trucks are famous for bad grounds. Start with the battery / frame ground and check them all. 50/50 a ground somewhere is the problem. Be sure to report back when you find what it is.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with V_Kint, check the switch wiring connector. My 96 Yukon was popping the internal circuit breaker and the culprit was the connector not making good contact causing a ton of heat in the connection. Look for terminal ends that are backed out slightly from the connector body. All the power for the headlights run through that switch and small gauge wiring. A good upgrade is to use those original headlight wires to control relays that supply full battery power to the headlights, should be able to find a good wiring diagram for this mod on this forum I imagine.

Odie

Reaction score
Hi. This post really helped me find my problem. How to get to it and fix it on the other hand was harder to find. I would like to post a link to an outside site that has instructions on this specific issue but I don't wanna break any rules as I'm new here. Is something like that allowed?