My GMT800, 2003 RCLB 2500HD Build / Rebuild!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Just a little before and after of the interior. Power windows, locks, mirrors and keyless entry done. This was a bit of a learning curve as figuring out how to match BCMS and program them was a little bit steep. I managed to get the right adaptor and an ACDelco TDS subscription, where I could custom program the BCM and various other modules on the truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

Not able to be content with an "imperfect" truck in my mind, I set to work fixing the failing / falling headliner. Apparently all 800's have this issue.

Headliner removed, fabric stripped and foam whizzer-wheeled off.

Recovered using Stock Interiors headliner fabric with foam backing.

Reinstalled in the truck.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Next up was steering wheel audio and driver info center controls, rear defrosting glass along with a rebuilt / flashed instrument cluster.

I purchased a 2003 Duramax donor cab that was loaded, for the clock spring, steering wheel parts, rear defrost window and a spare BCM.

The new GM clockspring was $230 plus shipping, this whole cab was a couple bucks cheaper. So, opted to purchase the cab and strip the parts I needed from it.

This is when I was installing, learning and using a donor Tahoe cluster that was programmed for the Driver Info Center option.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
I couldn't bear with the hanta-virus inducing steering wheel, so I ordered a brand new GM leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio / DIC controls.

Shortly after, I rebuilt a Denali gauge cluster and installed it in the truck, programming the miles and hours to match my truck. With a handy program called IPC Hammer and using my OBDLink MX+ adaptor, that I previously used to program modules on my Ram trucks.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Randomly using the truck for truck things, picking up another mass of stainless. Did I mention how great it is, to have an 8' bed again?

I hotshot quite a bit of stuff around the nation for the power generation industry, that we fabricate in house. I'm very used to seeing brand new 2019+ Ram HD and GM HD Diesels show up to hot shot stuff. It was a shock to see this really good looking 2006 LBZ show up to hot shot a load for me, that thing has almost 450K on the original engine!

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, i've had a fresh rebuilt transfer case, waiting to go in since December. This truck, like MANY of the GM HD trucks suffers from pump rub. So it leaks about a tea spoon of transfer case oil every time it's driven and then parked. I'll get the case swapped eventually.

Next step in the W/T removal and addition of the SLE package. Ditching the black textured fender flares in lieu of painted fender flares, pulled these off of a parts truck for $40.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Next step was a better rear camera system. Going back to OEM or OEM+, I really wanted something that looked like it could be factory.

Found a tailgate handle with the camera integrated. I couldn't run my wiring straight down, as I didn't want to intersect with the factory 1 ton bed mounted running lamp I wanted to install. It took about an hour of fish tape, duct tape, life changing tape, to get the wire fished to the bottom drivers side of the tailgate. From there, I added grommets and passed the harness thru the rear bed cross-sill. I didn't want the camera wiring to be seen while the gate was closed.

1 Ton bed mounted running light installed as well.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
I've always joked to myself and friends, that I wanted this truck to look like a UFO in the middle of the night cruising down a gravel road. I think i'm pretty close to freaking out Bob the Farmer with a low flying UFO at midnight. :D

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
How do you like and what made you decide on those tires? I am looking at them, but in 265.

I like the tires, they're the Original BFGoorich All-terrain T/A tread pattern, US made and they were $580 shipped. Usually I go with a Falken All-terrain or a Kenda Klever M/T, but i've heard so much about these remolds. So I figured i'd take a chance on them. I'm happy so far.