My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
...Do you have a link to that study?

I'll just attach it. Not sure if it's been updated since then. Biggest shocker to me was how crappy 5W-40 Rotella T6 is despite all of the positive hype surrounding it.

Also, here's a link to his blog: 540 Rat's blog. Careful though, it's like going back to 1996 with how poorly everything is organized. Navigating through the thing is terrible, "F3" is your friend over there.

Attachments

• 540 RAT Oil Wear Protection Ranking List (2019).pdf
    73.6 KB · Views: 8

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An update:
The short block is scheduled to be delivered by FedEx on Monday on a lift gate truck (to my shop next to the house).

The Blue Print oil for break in arrived yesterday. I'll use their BPP51061 (same part # as WIX filters)

The Blue Print dipstick has shipped (it's odd, after almost 70 years of life, small thing amuse small minds)! :biggrin:

Note: I looked at the APR 12pt bolts and washers but, don't see any notches on one side of the washers so, I'll be careful when torquing them. I went with the 12pt bolts because I was afraid I wouldn't have enough room for a 6pt socket with the bigger springs.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An update:
The short block is scheduled to be delivered by FedEx on Monday on a lift gate truck (to my shop next to the house).

The Blue Print oil for break in arrived yesterday. I'll use their BPP51061 (same part # as WIX filters)

The Blue Print dipstick has shipped (it's odd, after almost 70 years of life, small thing amuse small minds)! :biggrin:

Note: I looked at the APR 12pt bolts and washers but, don't see any notches on one side of the washers so, I'll be careful when torquing them. I went with the 12pt bolts because I was afraid I wouldn't have enough room for a 6pt socket with the bigger springs.
Sand one side of the washer with like 100 grit. That side faces the head.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's almost like Christmas, except I have to pay for it all :confused:. My Blue Print 377 (383 with 4.000" pistons) engine came today. Zero deck, 12cc pistons = ~10.3:1 CR.
You must be registered for see images attach

Plus my Blue Print dipstick showed up Saturday, it's a little different than the OE one. We'll have to see how it fits.

It also shows "FULL" when the OE one shows "ADD". I guess I'll have to put 5 quarts in, run it, and see what she says. And, I'll be sure it doesn't wrap around the crank :rolleyes:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son's coming over tomorrow so we can get started assembling the engine, heads, motor mounts, sensors, etc. Since the engine is out, I wanna run a 2 AWG positive from the battery to the starter - give it some more juice to help turn it over. I also wanna pull a few valves out of the heads to check guides, seats, valves, and stems. I have a new set of valves if I need them but, for almost $200 I'd rather return them if I can.

Here's some of the sensors and parts. Motor Mounts on top (of course). Left to right; Dakota Digital CTS for the gauge, Oil Pressure Sensor for the gauge, Oil Pressure Switch for the fuel pump, and Knock Sensor with the block drain plug from the other side.

Did I mention, I hate cleaning parts with a passion?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure what starter you have, but the 96+ "vortec" PG260 style works great on my 10.3:1 355
I have the direct drive beast with double windings. I was thinking about switching to the PMGR style but, i"ll wait and see how this one works...for now.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
the weight difference is what sold it for me. ever dropped the old sbc starter on your face while trying to install it? i'd like to say it's only happened to me once.....

I changed the one on my Buick 350 in the 90s. I thought I was lifting another engine into the car from the bottom. When I did the starter on my 454, it's the PMGR mini-starter. I couldn't believe how tiny and light it was. It was a breeze, other than being dripped on a bit.

Also, no issue with wedging it in place. I can see the point of using what's already on hand, Though.