My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. my builder says he'll do a short block and we'll finish it. The 355 with flat top hyperutectic pistons will have ~10.1:1 static compression and the 383 with 18cc dish ICON forged pistons (he doesn't like hyperutectic on a stroker) will have 9.866 according to his calcs. Both with my cam, timing set, oil pump, and pan. Both balanced static and dynamic to within 1/2 gram with flex plate and new balancer ($250 for that) included in price. He'll also vacuum check my heads to ensure valves and seats are still good.

355 = $3785.12, 383 = $4299.72

Ideas/comments, as usual?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK. my builder says he'll do a short block and we'll finish it. The 355 with flat top hyperutectic pistons will have ~10.1:1 static compression and the 383 with 18cc dish ICON forged pistons (he doesn't like hyperutectic on a stroker) will have 9.866 according to his calcs. Both with my cam, timing set, oil pump, and pan. Both balanced static and dynamic to within 1/2 gram with flex plate and new balancer ($250 for that) included in price. He'll also vacuum check my heads to ensure valves and seats are still good.

355 = $3785.12, 383 = $4299.72

Ideas/comments, as usual?

Basically you would be getting 40-50 ft/lbs more torque at practically every point in the torque curve and forged pistons for $512.00. The difference in a crummy hyper piston set and a proper set of quality forged slugs alone is close to half of that. I would not put a hyper piston in anything I was building from the ground up.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What we did yesterday:

Got the engine ready for extraction, (my wife went to the dentist so I used the correlation here). This is before we pulled the starter, which made better access to the collector bolts. Then pulled the headers too.
You must be registered for see images attach

Pulled the plugs so they won't get damaged and to look at them. Other than some coloration from additives, no peppering even though the ECM was pulling some timing when under hard acceleration (before everything went south).

I've been throwing parts in the back of the truck - lots of cleaning to do. I think I'm gonna roll the Tonneau cover up so I can separate and clean what needs it.

Then we assembled the 1 Ton engine hoist together. I couldn't find any HF store on this side of the valley that had a 2 ton. It's gonna be close having enough reach, we may have to pull the grille to get enough. We plan on pulling the engine with the heads on, hopefully. We haven't pulled the radiator yet either.

Then I'll strip the block and figure out a way to get it to the builder. I may just rent a U-Haul flat bed trailer. That'd make it easier unloading there, he has a jib boom crane so, an enclosed vehicle will make it more difficult.

As Shakespeare used to say "To 383 or not to 383, that is the question" :rolleyes: