My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I put a LS in a vehicle, drove it for a while, then pulled that gutless dog of a 6.0L back out and put a cammed 350 Vortec in its place. That 6.0L did not start making power until ~4K.

You ever played with a 6.0 that had a smallish cam with a nice, tight LSA?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a guy in Scottsdale that does great work.
Thanks for that! I'm going out there to talk to him tomorrow. He's also a Scat dealer and said he can get a rotating assy for less than Summit or Jegs. :biggrin:

He said he started Greulich's auto repair back in the 70's but, he and his brother split up. Now he has the machine shop and his brother is running the 5 store auto repair side. They have a great reputation. IIRC my son worked for them a while back.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for going OT.
That's cool, like I said about 20 pages ago, if it helps anyone, I'm good with it. Besides I like the banter between LS and old SBC.

This is why I originally decided to see what I could do with an old school TBI EFI system. I probably could have a screaming, high revving, power plant for less - by now.

Hey, to each his own :33:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to talk to Greg Greulich of Greulich's Engine and machine (thanks for the tip @Knuckle Dragger :waytogo:). We talked for almost an hour while he took me for a tour of his shop. He can do everything but grind cams. After pulling all plugs and caps, he has 3 wash tanks with SS medium, then bores and hones cylinders with torque plates, decks blocks, align bore and hones main, and cam journals, does 3 angle valve grind, balances cranks and rotating assemblies, resizes rods, has a couple CNC machines, etc. He's a distributor for Scat as well as other engine component suppliers, and will price match Summit or Jegs. He has a separate climate controlled engine assembly room. I'm impressed!

It's a one man shop and he keeps busy. Right now, he has 4 engines waiting in line but, said he could probably get mine done in < 2 Months, depending on what I want done. This includes, wash, bore hone cylinders, deck, and align bore/hone the block, depending on what's needed, changing cam bearings since the grooves behind the bearings will trap contaminants if not done. He wants to take my cam and heads to go through them and freshen up the valves, guides, and seals as needed, he'll check spring rate too. He doesn't want to reuse the lifters, he has a supplier of good ones. He says it isn't worth disassembling and cleaning them. he'll order the rotating assy to get it ~10:1 compression with my 62CC chamber heads. For what I'm doing he suggested flat top Hypereutectic Pistons over forged because they'll work better with a tighter tolerance and help reduce piston slap.

He's gonna write up a ball park figure for each phase and we'll talk about it. I figure I'm a couple weeks away from getting the components to him, then he can get a final figure after their baths. He really wants to do a complete long block assy rather than a short block, and I understand his thinking. We'll see what the cost differences are :33:

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
I went to talk to Greg Greulich of Greulich's Engine and machine (thanks for the tip @Knuckle Dragger :waytogo:). We talked for almost an hour while he took me for a tour of his shop. He can do everything but grind cams. After pulling all plugs and caps, he has 3 wash tanks with SS medium, then bores and hones cylinders with torque plates, decks blocks, align bore and hones main, and cam journals, does 3 angle valve grind, balances cranks and rotating assemblies, resizes rods, has a couple CNC machines, etc. He's a distributor for Scat as well as other engine component suppliers, and will price match Summit or Jegs. He has a separate climate controlled engine assembly room. I'm impressed!

It's a one man shop and he keeps busy. Right now, he has 4 engines waiting in line but, said he could probably get mine done in < 2 Months, depending on what I want done. This includes, wash, bore hone cylinders, deck, and align bore/hone the block, depending on what's needed, changing cam bearings since the grooves behind the bearings will trap contaminants if not done. He wants to take my cam and heads to go through them and freshen up the valves, guides, and seals as needed, he'll check spring rate too. He doesn't want to reuse the lifters, he has a supplier of good ones. He says it isn't worth disassembling and cleaning them. he'll order the rotating assy to get it ~10:1 compression with my 62CC chamber heads. For what I'm doing he suggested flat top Hypereutectic Pistons over forged because they'll work better with a tighter tolerance and help reduce piston slap.

He's gonna write up a ball park figure for each phase and we'll talk about it. I figure I'm a couple weeks away from getting the components to him, then he can get a final figure after their baths. He really wants to do a complete long block assy rather than a short block, and I understand his thinking. We'll see what the cost differences are :33:
Pretty impressive place isn't it? I was skeptical when I first pulled in but when I got around the back I knew I found a real machine shop lol.