My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on guys, buck up! I've got a big-ass paper weight taking up space in my shop!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is in the lower end - most of #5 rod bearing trans located itself to the oil pan :rolleyes: More to come with pics later.
I forgot about the pics -

Timing gear thrust bearing, looking good.
You must be registered for see images attach

Cam retainer plate OK

Rod cap with what's left of the bearing. This piece is from the rod end, the cap side is totally gone.

Crank journal well lapped in...

You can easily read "MADE IN MEXICO" on the bottom of the pistons :anitoof:

Honestly, this is a 23 year old block so, I'm not too pissed, just a little :(

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, here's the rest of the rod bearing(s). Note: this pic is of the oil pan, standin on end, dripping into the drain pan, with the windage tray next to it.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why do you need a 4 bolt main? get aftermarket 4 bolt caps and add them to your block if it gives you a warm a fuzzy. align boring is a must on an old sbc rebuild IMO.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you learn something new everyday! After more research I found that the "Power Torque" engines sold by O'Reilly are made by ATK HP Engines, AKA HighPerformanceEngines.com

I sent ATK an email about O'Reilly's Power Torque 5.7L asking about the block being from 1988 - 1995 TBI where the "Specifications" sheet says from 1996 - 2000 (see attached .pdf)

Attachments

• sp03(1).pdf
    87.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent AKT an email about O'Reilly's Power Torque 5.7L asking about the block being from 1988 - 1995 TBI where the "Specifications" sheet says from 1996 - 2000 (see attached .pdf)
I just got a reply from them "we no longer offer short blocks" and it came from a guy @LKQCORP.com - this gets more interesting all the time :lol: