My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He already has a good top-end. Cheaper to build the lower end at this point.
As long as he didn't wreck the top end, yes.

Yep, and it is in the lower end - most of #5 rod bearing trans located itself to the oil pan :rolleyes: More to come with pics later.

Still looking for a 4 bolt main, flat top pistons, with roller cam provisions TBI short block. My cam, timing set, heads, intake, etc are all looking good.

I may even look for a bare block with cam bearings, then a crank, pistons, rings, rods, bearings set and assemble the thing myself. Hell Jegs ATK 383 short blocks are 1 - 2 months out anymore and $2559 - $3619 depending.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was afraid of that ...
Yeah, me too. When I 1st heard the tell tail sound of a rod knock under acceleration, I pretty much knew but, being an optimist, I refused to listen to myself.

You know the old saying right? A pessimist calls the glass 1/2 empty, an optimist calls it 1/2 full but, an engineer calls it too fooking big!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would just find a machine shop and rebuild your block. see what their warranty is, might be a better idea to just get them to assemble it if it means there is a warranty
I thought about that but, it's still a 2 bolt main. I'm trying to do better each time I delve into this so, I don't have to go back into it for the same bull$hit again. I may be dead by then but, my son won't have to worry about it after.

Edit: Hell, maybe it'll keep up with his '69 bug :lol: I don't think so, :biggrin:

The six million dollar GMT400.
Not even close - YET!!!

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I talked to Mabbco Motors, they'll do a TBI block with your choice of flat top pistons but, they're 8 - 10 weeks out to find a 4 bolt main with roller bosses. They use the OE crank and rods, grind down the crank and rod journals, use cheap, locally acquired stuff. I'm not impressed!
www.mabbco.com/catalog/auto/national-short-block-program-no-core-required/manufacturer/chevrolet/gm-chevrolet-57-350-short-block-1987-1995-tbi-roller-4-bolt-main-no-core-required-90-day-limited-warranty/

Honestly, I'm thinking about one of these - only 1 - 2 months, plus they're 383s
www.jegs.com/p/ATK-Engines/ATK-HP-Crate-Engines-Chevy-Short-Blocks/5167244/10002/-1

I've heard Blue Print motors aren't as good as they used to be either :33:

Last edited: