My ex-paramedic ex railroad Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FitzWill

Reaction score
"We'll never sell the Suburban," he told me. 6 months later, "We have to sell the Suburban". OK. They'd already taken off the rail gear and put on chrome bumpers, and steel wheels with new tires. So I bought the Burban from the railroad. She's a rust-free 99 K2500, originally built as a paramedic chase car, so dual batteries, 4L80E, 4.11 gears, G80, even has the shore power inlet on the fender. Looking forward to doing a few cosmetic things and doing truck stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    317.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 49

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love seeing old MOW trucks get a new lease on life. Got any major plans for it?

There's an old CCLB K3500 service truck running around here that's an ex-Norfolk Southern truck

FitzWill

Reaction score
I love seeing old MOW trucks get a new lease on life. Got any major plans for it?

There's an old CCLB K3500 service truck running around here that's an ex-Norfolk Southern truck

Immediate plans are to get some different wheels and possibly tires, although burning off the remaining 9/32 of the current tires would make sense. I want to go to 17" rims at some point. New shocks soon, leaning toward Rancho 5000s, but haven't decided yet. I do not love the nerf bars. I tend to black out the chrome on anything I drive. It's a Chevy, so the GMC grille will get swapped for a W/T grill and headlights at some point. Needs a hitch. It's a really solid truck, very clean underneath, which is unheard of here. I'm planning to keep it pretty much forever, so I'll just do stuff as it's needed. What would you suggest as far as things to do?

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice find. Change all the fluids, all the filters and a general tune up. I had a set of Rancho 5000s one time. They were not bad but I was not impressed either. I have installed Bilstein shocks on several vehicles I have owned and always liked them.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
One of my hunting buddies has a late 90s 2 door Tahoe W/T trim. I believe it’s a former fleet truck for some kind quarry or mine security team. Very odd spec; vinyl seats but in bucket form, power locks but crank windows, and a 5 speed manual. I believe it’s from the coal region of Pennsylvania.

Edit: I forgot to mention that its got G80 lockers swapped in with 4,11 gears

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Immediate plans are to get some different wheels and possibly tires, although burning off the remaining 9/32 of the current tires would make sense. I want to go to 17" rims at some point. New shocks soon, leaning toward Rancho 5000s, but haven't decided yet. I do not love the nerf bars. I tend to black out the chrome on anything I drive. It's a Chevy, so the GMC grille will get swapped for a W/T grill and headlights at some point. Needs a hitch. It's a really solid truck, very clean underneath, which is unheard of here. I'm planning to keep it pretty much forever, so I'll just do stuff as it's needed. What would you suggest as far as things to do?
If everything is good on it, just run it.

Basic preventative maintenance would be changing all of the fluids. Engine, transmission, brake, power steering, differential, transfer case, coolant. That should keep you busy for a while.

Rubber things like hoses and belts should also be inspected. Does it have hydroboost assist brakes?

FitzWill

Reaction score
If everything is good on it, just run it.

Basic preventative maintenance would be changing all of the fluids. Engine, transmission, brake, power steering, differential, transfer case, coolant. That should keep you busy for a while.

Rubber things like hoses and belts should also be inspected. Does it have hydroboost assist brakes?
I've had a look at most of the notorious stuff; found one of the heater hose tees cracked and leaking, replaced. Belts and hoses pretty good. Planning to do the QD fitting on the intake fairly soon. New fuel tank and a AcDelco pump/sender already done. I had it in the air at a friend's garage for inspection, but didn't want to monopolize the lift all day. Once it warms up a little, I'll get it up on the forklift at work and get about changing fluids.

For the moment, just run it is about right. I live about 4 miles from work, so back and forth plus errands for a few weeks to shake out any issues.

It does have the JD7 brakes, so 8400# hydroboost.

FitzWill

Reaction score
One of my hunting buddies has a late 90s 2 door Tahoe W/T trim. I believe it’s a former fleet truck for some kind quarry or mine security team. Very odd spec; vinyl seats but in bucket form, power locks but crank windows, and a 5 speed manual. I believe it’s from the coal region of Pennsylvania.

Edit: I forgot to mention that its got G80 lockers swapped in with 4,11 gears
Yeah, fleet trucks can be interesting. I really thought this was a base model but it's got power seats, windows, and locks, and mirrors. Auto-dimming/compass rearview. Cold pkg/block heater. All of which makes sense if it was ordered as a medic unit. It's got some upfitter stuff left, like dome lights. Very happy to have the dual batteries.

Edit to add: I'm in one of the coal regions of PA. Matter of fact, the railroad I work for used to be the Delaware and Hudson, and then the Erie, which ran most of the coal to NYC. Our mileposts still read, for example, JC132, which is 132 miles to Jersey City. My truck was previously titled in DE, where it may have had the rail gear fitted. I think it was from further south originally, do to the condition of the undercarriage.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Curious as to why you would change out what looks like a perfectly good grill for the W/T one? I get that it's a Chevy, so wouldn't a "normal" Chevy grill work if the GMC one "offends" you?? Lol.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
Yeah, fleet trucks can be interesting. I really thought this was a base model but it's got power seats, windows, and locks, and mirrors. Auto-dimming/compass rearview. Cold pkg/block heater. All of which makes sense if it was ordered as a medic unit. It's got some upfitter stuff left, like dome lights. Very happy to have the dual batteries.
Near me growing up, someone had a 78 and it had lights as an ambulance but inside it looked like one of those conversion vans with that plastic wood, lazy boy seats bolted to seat frames, and 2nd row captains chairs. Got to love fleet trucks :Big Laugh: