My C1500 Build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I've decided I want to start a thread for my blue C1500 as I want to document repairs/upgrades/mods and I'm sure some of you would be interested in this. I have a lot of history with this truck and not really sure where I should start.

I guess not having heat for the last 6 years would be a great start. I am fairly confident the heater core is still functional, as the bottom of the air box gets kinda warm. I believe the door that allows airflow to the core was stuck closed, and thus no heat.

About 6 years ago when this first happened, I didn't know about this forum and I found minimum information on what was going on. After time and some researched had passed, I had concluded that most likely the actuators had failed, and more specifically, the gears internally stripped out. I think that's why the door was stuck closed.

So armed with very little information, I started taking the old actuators off. The drivers' side footwell was easiest, the one above the blower motor a little harder. And this is where s**t went down hill. The third one in the center of the dash had a metal bar directly in front of it, and I couldn't figure out how to take the actuator out because the bar was in the way. So after a hour of staring at it and frustration settled in, I ripped off the actuator, and in the process, the "tab?" that engages with the actuator. At this moment I was SOL and gave up on it.

Mind you, this was all 6 years ago. So I've had time to study how these dashes work and figure out what I could do to get heat again.

You must be registered for see images attach

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
On Sunday, 11-14-21, I spent a few hours working on the dash and this what I did to get the heat to work again.

I started by taking off all the trim pieces and the bottom of the air duck under the heater core. Now I can see the core and some of the duck work along with the door that was non functional. I unscrewed the core so I could get better access to the door and figure out how to prop it open so air can flow to the core.

While I was in there, I noticed both the heater and evap core looked almost brand new. Not sure if they are original, or replaced at some point before I bought the truck. If they are original, wow! They are in perfect condition!