My brother's truck starts w/o key in the ignition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95chev

Fear the Deere
Reaction score
My truck will do that if you dont turn the ignition back to lock position, I can pull the key out while driving down the road haha comes in handy sometimes if want to leave the truck running but need my keys for something

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I wish mine did that. I'll have to try it, it'd be nice to leave it running in the winter without the key in the ignition. Some of the new diesel trucks do it too.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

95chev

Fear the Deere
Reaction score
I wish mine did that. I'll have to try it, it'd be nice to leave it running in the winter without the key in the ignition. Some of the new diesel trucks do it too.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha yah its great, it does it cause my key is so worn out

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes if your truck is 94-back it's easier. 95-up is the airbag column unless you have a 8600gvw or larger truck, they require some different tools.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like others have said, not a big job.. just time to dig down to it. When your key is more gold in color then silver, your getting close to change out time. I had planned to pull the column and close the hole up, and install a push button start in the ash trey. Glad I didn't though.. One of those ideas that sounds good when your young.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
My granddads 78 would do that back in 94-98. Just take the key out and use it to unlock the gate, drive thru, lock it back then stick the key back in. :)
warm and happy memories.

as someone said, not very uncommon on GM columns at allfor the cylinders to wear out,

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my quest to resurrect my new-to-me ‘95 I discovered that the protrusion on the lock cylinder that keeps it from turning without a key only sticks out about 1mm when the key is out. Luckily (?) someone had taken vise grips to mine a few years ago in an attempt to steal the truck, damaging both the lock cylinder and the housing. So now both are new and working properly.

After having mine apart I’d say this symptom would just as likely need a new housing as a new lock cylinder to repair it.