My brother's truck starts w/o key in the ignition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I went to go look at my brother's new 1991 GMC truck yesterday and it starts right up with out the key in the ignition.

Has anybody else here ever had this problem?

Is there a easy way to fix it, or maybe he needs to buy a whole new ignition or something?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to go look at my brother's new 1991 GMC truck yesterday and it starts right up with out the key in the ignition.

Has anybody else here ever had this problem?

Is there a easy way to fix it, or maybe he needs to buy a whole new ignition or something?

Ignition tumbler is wore out. Needs to replace

Sent from somewhere in MN

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Just did this a few days ago on my brother's 94' (i'm assuming a 91' column is the same internally). Took about 2 hours with my learning curve. Wasn't too bad.

You will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate removal tool though.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
That's ok, mine opens, locks, and starts with keys, tentpegs, nothing, heh.

But yes, '97 nailed it - the lock cyl is worn out/jammed.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I only replaced mine because I was moving to a more populated area. Didnt want someone to be able to break into my truck and steal it. Its a pretty easy swap out.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
Ironically, three hours after my post, my key broke off in my ignition. I ended up having to swap out the lock cylinder in an Autozone parking lot tonight. Lol

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
either the tumbler or sometimes as stated the get so worn out they wing nut looking part actually comes out a bit and doesnt click in place when its shut off, had it happen in my camaro, just took a 2x2 cut to fit into the area and hit it with a hammer, never did it again.