My brother's 87 RAM Charger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
My brother bought this about 18 months ago. He traveled to OKC to get this(a 4 hour drive from the house), and I must admit: I never really cared for the Mopar stuff, but this is starting to rub off on me.

It started out in life with a 318. The previous owner didn't like how much(or how little) power it was making. So he pulled it and rebuilt it. Still didn't like the power from it so he pulled it and swapped in a 360. STILL didn't like what it was making and rebuilt THAT one. So this has been through 4 unnecessary engine builds. Neither my brother, nor I have ever had the chance to work on a carburetor, so it's been interesting on trying to tune it to run better.

When he was test driving it, the truck would not go into reverse. I believe my brother said he had to adjust the idle so it would go into reverse and actually move without trying to die. It also would not go into 4 HI or LO. He said that he found that the vacuum line to the front diff and/or transfer case were non existence.

I don't know what transmission it has, but it does not really want to downshift, at least not at part throttle. I'm pretty sure it's the TV cable, but we haven't go that far yet.

The coolest thing I like about this is the exhaust. It has dual Borla mufflers and it sounds niiiice. We definitely turn some heads when driving this around town.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know what transmission it has, but it does not really want to downshift, at least not at part throttle. I'm pretty sure it's the TV cable, but we haven't go that far yet.
You need to get on the tv adjustment. 727 Torqueflights are not unlike a 700r4 where you will most certainly smoke the trans for the line pressure not rising. Holly sells a throttle bracket extension/adapter that helps with Chrysler cable and tv attachment.

These kits facilitate TV cable operation where aftermarket higher rise manifolds and aftermarket carbs have thrown off tv geometry.

It also looks like Bouchillon offers there own version of a Chrysler throttle bracket adapter.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took the 340(?) out off my father in laws short bed 4x4 dodge and put the 383 he had in charger that a kid blew through corner and tboned in his driveway. He said it will it fit? Watch me.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
You need to get on the tv adjustment. 727 Torqueflights are not unlike a 700r4 where you will most certainly smoke the trans for the line pressure not rising. Holly sells a throttle bracket extension/adapter that helps with Chrysler cable and tv attachment.

These kits facilitate TV cable operation where aftermarket higher rise manifolds and aftermarket carbs have thrown off tv geometry.

It also looks like Bouchillon offers there own version of a Chrysler throttle bracket adapter.
I'll rely this to him. It's been a while since he's driven it and I'm not sure if he got it working. He's spent the last several weeks rebuilding the carburetor and just generally trying to get engine to run better.