My 99 vortec 5.7 STINKS, has a subtle miss but no Codes or CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You think you have a misfire, and you're surprised that the computer isn't setting codes when important sensors for detecting catalyst damage have been disabled?

What ELSE did "black bear" screw up?
I realize I'm the one asking for help here but I'm not sure why you would think a rear 02 sensor would somehow be involved with a misfire? I'm no pro so please don't take that as being a jerk or anything, I'm really curious

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying the lack of functioning downstream O2 sensors will CAUSE the misfire.

I'm saying that functioning downstream O2 sensors should be picking up the results of misfire, setting codes due to catalyst inefficiency. No functioning sensors, no catalyst codes or CEL. The title of this thread alludes to lack of codes, and no CEL being set. So I'm also wondering what else "black bear" disabled that would prevent appropriate monitoring of the engine.

What's causing the misfire has not yet been determined--but misfire + fuel in the oil sure points towards improper fuel control within the injection system. In the old days, we'd suspect a faulty engine-driven fuel pump, too. Possibly, insufficient ignition would allow raw fuel blow-by, but that would take longer. The fuel could even evaporate out of the oil and be removed via the PCV system unless the ignition misfire was REALLY bad, and the OP isn't complaining about a hard, constant misfire.

The change in the exhaust "smell" probably occurred when the catalyst quit working. Eye-burning exhaust is usually due to excess hydrocarbon (unburned fuel) in the exhaust. HC should be reduced by the catalyst. If it's not, the catalyst is cooked.

In MY driveway, there'd be a scan tool looking for misfire data. I see "fuel trim" in the graphs above, but I'm not familiar with that style of graph, and I can't make sense of it. I'm used to seeing fuel trim displayed numerically. I'd also consider a cranking compression test, cylinder leakdown test, and especially a cylinder-balance test which might also identify the misfiring cylinder(s).

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm not saying the lack of functioning downstream O2 sensors will CAUSE the misfire.

I'm saying that functioning downstream O2 sensors should be picking up the results of misfire, setting codes due to catalyst inefficiency. No functioning sensors, no catalyst codes or CEL. The title of this thread alludes to lack of codes, and no CEL being set. So I'm also wondering what else "black bear" disabled that would prevent appropriate monitoring of the engine.

The rear O2 sensors only monitor the converters, as far as I've ever heard.... all engine operations use the front sensors.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Black Bear Performance does not go willy-nilly tuning out sensors without the request of the customer to do so. If he didn't request that anything else be disabled, they didn't do it.

I think everyone is focusing a little hard on the rear O2s here...

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Black Bear Performance does not go willy-nilly tuning out sensors without the request of the customer to do so. If he didn't request that anything else be disabled, they didn't do it.

I think everyone is focusing a little hard on the rear O2s here...
Yes thank you.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
The fuel pressure regulator on the MPFI injectors can go bad, if I'm not mistaken.

Its not that the regulators are prone to going bad, but I wouldn't be quick to suspect a bad injector. If that regulator went bad it can dump raw fuel into the intake, thus into the pistons.

Seems to me that these are the only two places it could be coming from

In fact I suspect this is happening on one of my 5.7 vortecs, although it has the old black spider injectors. It idles rough for about 30 seconds after cranking it, but it won't do it unless its been sitting a while. I think the regulator is dumping fuel from residual pressure at shutdown

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So since I'm most concerned about the fuel trim on bank 1, I pulled all the plugs on bank 1. All plugs were dry and chocolate colored but a tiny bit lean. All wires were in good condition still. I'm also putting in a new ECT that I had. The other one seemed pretty corroded but per torque app it was functioning. Do the patterns of the front o2 sensors seem to be ok?