My 98 K2500 starts and then dies, new ac delco fuel pump, fuel pressure builds up to 64 lbs, and the slowly drops off over time. Fuses all good, check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simers

Reaction score
98 K2500 start and die issue, new pump and filter, fuses all good, relay has continuity… going to install a new fuel pressure regulator today, check for security lock, and if need be I’m going to jumper the fuel pump to see if my truck will stay running… any information is definitely appreciated, thanks Simers

McDermott

Reaction score
Seems like I’m having the same problem. I’ll give history on the truck because that might give some critical information . It’s a 1998 GMC Sierra C1500 , little 305. Truck came from Orlando and is the cleanest most rust and corrosion free truck I have seen . It has 180k milage and looks like the owner took good care of it and had it serviced routinely.
This truck was parked in 2014 . It was running and driving perfectly at the time . The past ( and original) owner just replaced it and didn’t sell it until 2020 . The past owner would start it from time to time and occasionally used it to pick up branches from the back yard . I acquired it started up instantly and ran like a new truck . I Didn’t end up doing anything with it until recently .
I ran into this starting and instantly dying as the truck was parked in my garage . I figured it was due to me leaving the battery disconnected, because it seemed to happen more often initially after hooking up the battery.
So now new battery , and the problem is very much unpredictable. I believe I have put about 1000 miles on it , and it’s been driven in rain , and smoldering hot weather . I don’t believe moisture is a problem but I’m not sure . Once it starts it always runs with out fail , runs smooth and steady until I turn it off . But occasionally it will start and instantly die . I have read posts about the passlock being problematic in this trucks of this year , but I am unclear and don’t want to start adding resistors or changing components until I know what it is . When it dies I will try again with no success . The only thing that works is waiting a untold amount of time. My daughter is turning 16 soon and I’m working the kinks out of this truck for her to drive ,
So when it chooses to no run , I grab my truck and go.
I’ve tried the passlock relearn but no success , I’ve read that the truck should run for 10 Seconds or so if it’s a security problem . I’ve also read the lack of oil pressure will disengage the fuel
Pump after it starts . My gauge hits 40lbs on cranking . Last night I was gonna run out for a can of dip and it wouldn’t start , and this morning is still won’t start .
And that’s the first time that giving it time
Didn’t temporarily cure the problem.
Im a small engine tech so I am pretty good at diagnostics, have most of the tools to do what ever . I’ve tested the fuel pressure and it’s great at 60 lbs . I hear the pump turn on .. There are no codes what so ever . And like I said once it starts it runs like a brand new truck .
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer . I’ll try to post a small video showing you what it’s doing . Can’t seem to find a option for videos . Is there one ?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@McDermott This is what a Passlock issue sounds like. Not sure where you heard 10 seconds but that's bad information. If it sounds like this and the security light is flashing, it's the Passlock.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

McDermott

Reaction score
You can tune the truck to bypass that ? No need to put in resistors and all that ? That seems better . Do you have any suggestions to where ?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But sounds exactly like that ,
Solid security light . I’ve waited 10 min and it never goes off .
Then you haven't waited 10 minutes....
Key on, not start, wait what seems like an eternity but is actually only 10 minutes and the light WILL go out. Repeat 2 more times.

Yes, you can tune it out. @Dropped88 can do it for you.