My 97 3/4 ton 454... anything else i need or should do ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You cannot install roller rockers on a stock 7.4 Vortec. Need tall rocker covers and they interfere with the throttle body. Be careful with cams that require adjustable rockers. Pandora's box. Your money is better spent on other suspension items...poly bushings, rear brake service, steering, etc.
The rear brakes are typically ignored because they can be z PITA to service. Fronts are not bad unless rotors need replacing.
Another tow related thing I've seen is the factory hitches can rust out and become unsafe. Check the area inside and out for deep rust. Clean and POR is good.
I'll assume you have 4:10 axles? If not, there's an expensive goal for best towing.
4L80e has a temp sensor built in. You can read it in "live" OBD scan mode.
The thermostat should be left factory if you live in a cold area. With front and rear heat, you'll want the 195 in winter. It wont cause problems in summer if cooling system is clean. If the cooling system is junked up, thermostat is least of your worries.
HID/projectors are pretty cool. MORIMOTO rules!
For S&Gs, nice torque cam kit below. But, it won't work with factory Vortec FI.
Solution...note the "Q'jet" FI..this engine has roller rockers. Still just something shiny...at truck RPMs they are bling. SB screamer, they are functional. The cam below is an excellent tow cam for 7.4 L29. These things require thought as they are "systems" that have other requirements to install.
A healthy, stock 7.4/4L80e will easily pull your Camaro and an open trailer. WD hitch and away you go.
Grill suggestion? I have a new grill identical to the one pictured...?
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

When i brought the truck home I did update the rear brakes with new hardware. And yes my truck has the factory 4.10 gears. Trying not to mess with the rocker arms and camshaft right now.

Whats a good source to buy some suspension upgrades ?

And what brand is your cowl hood? It looks badass.

Here is my camaro.... it run low 11s with a 6 speed naturally aspirated.

489burb

Reaction score
try LMC truck for the grille, headlights, signals, tail lights etc. Lots of options, stock or different styles and easy to add the little extras you'll otherwise forget, LED bulbs to fit aftermarket markers etc

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it was me and that engine still had its original injectors I'd throw them out. Calling them junk would be an insult to honest, hard-working quality junk. Should also replace that quick disconnect fitting on the heater hose that goes into the intake toward the front on the passenger side. It has an unfortunate habit of failing at the most inopportune of times.

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it was me and that engine still had its original injectors I'd throw them out. Calling them junk would be an insult to honest, hard-working quality junk. Should also replace that quick disconnect fitting on the heater hose that goes into the intake toward the front on the passenger side. It has an unfortunate habit of failing at the most inopportune of times.

What brand injectors should i be looking at ?

ZachMN

Reaction score
Scan Guage for trans temp - you can migrate it from vehicle to vehicle and keep an eye on other variables too. +1 on the Bilsteins. These trucks were designed around them. Have a good friend who works in a shop that only does front end work and that's who I heard that from. Hankook has decent 10 ply tires. Discount should have the best deal for you there.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You cannot install roller rockers on a stock 7.4 Vortec. Need tall rocker covers and they interfere with the throttle body. Be careful with cams that require adjustable rockers. Pandora's box. Your money is better spent on other suspension items...poly bushings, rear brake service, steering, etc.
The rear brakes are typically ignored because they can be z PITA to service. Fronts are not bad unless rotors need replacing.
Another tow related thing I've seen is the factory hitches can rust out and become unsafe. Check the area inside and out for deep rust. Clean and POR is good.
I'll assume you have 4:10 axles? If not, there's an expensive goal for best towing.
4L80e has a temp sensor built in. You can read it in "live" OBD scan mode.
The thermostat should be left factory if you live in a cold area. With front and rear heat, you'll want the 195 in winter. It wont cause problems in summer if cooling system is clean. If the cooling system is junked up, thermostat is least of your worries.
HID/projectors are pretty cool. MORIMOTO rules!
For S&Gs, nice torque cam kit below. But, it won't work with factory Vortec FI.
Solution...note the "Q'jet" FI..this engine has roller rockers. Still just something shiny...at truck RPMs they are bling. SB screamer, they are functional. The cam below is an excellent tow cam for 7.4 L29. These things require thought as they are "systems" that have other requirements to install.
A healthy, stock 7.4/4L80e will easily pull your Camaro and an open trailer. WD hitch and away you go.
Grill suggestion? I have a new grill identical to the one pictured...?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There is nothing wrong with the vortec FI system. The stock injectors/ fpr need to be replaced but that doesn't make the system bad. With some upgraded injectors and a tune you can throw whatever cam you want at these things, you just need a good tuner.

I have that exact same cam, and it ran just fine on the black box with new injectors, then I 0411 swapped and went with bigger injectors and it still ran well, now i have a rear mount turbo on it and the FI still works just fine.

I also have roller-tip rockers and adjustable valvetrain under the stock covers. I do agree that roller rockers probably are useless on these engines though.

As a side note, nice looking truck.