My 97 1500 brake story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ I tried that procedure on my '97 and got nowhere. Pushing the button on the combination valve did not release any air--or fluid. Did nothing at all.

The older EBC4 module can be bled that way.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Using the technique in the video I was able to flush out the super dirty old fluid and firm the pedal up a good amount. Not perfect, but better.

06June1944

Reaction score
Using the technique in the video I was able to flush out the super dirty old fluid and firm the pedal up a good amount. Not perfect, but better.
Any update on your brakes? I’m currently reviving a 00 z71 tahoe OBS. Threw in all new brake lines and am having a ball trying to bleed these bubbly things

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't touched them again since I bled them a year and a half ago. I went on vacation for 3 weeks and when I came back the pedal felt mushy, but after a few stops it firmed up again and hasnt given me any issues since.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Guess: You have air in the ABS unit that cannot be bled out without the scan-tool procedure.

The accumulators in the ABS module trap air. Bleeding at the wheels does not remove air trapped in the accumulator(s). The ONLY way to get this air out is to force the ABS unit to activate. ("Chattering" the ABS) That can get the air out of the ABS unit, but it still has to be bled down the tube/hoses and out the wheel cylinders/calipers.

The video previously posted is not bleeding the ABS unit; it's bleeding the combination valve. The combo valve is bolted to the ABS module, but isn't really a part of the ABS module.

It just kills me that the guy in the video is pouring clean, fresh brake fluid into a reservoir filled with black, dirty, contaminated fluid; even the plastic of the reservoir is black with crud. For ****'s sake, suck the dirty fluid out of the reservoir leaving only enough to prevent air getting into the master cylinder; wipe the crap off the plastic of the reservoir, and THEN pour clean fluid back in to the appropriate level.