My 700r4 may be FUBAR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A cheap die grinder with a 3" red scotch bright wheel
Oh, God! You didn't do that!

There'll be zillions of silicon dioxide or aluminum oxide abrasive micro-particles EVERYWHERE.

Those Scotch-Brite pads have destroyed a lot of engines. The bearings fail shortly after the thing is put back into service. Let's hope you don't stick any valves or score journal surfaces in that transmission.

Not to mention that the erosion of the castings is a major problem in itself. Aluminum castings get "cleaned" to the point where the aluminum is torn away, leaving a wavy surface wherever the pad lingered too long. Even cast-iron gets eroded especially if the guy is careless or inexperienced.

I don't know if another fluid 'n' filter change will help...but I'd be all over that like flies on ****, and hands clasped in prayer.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=563163

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thread on scotch bright.

I didn't touch any aluminum with it, just the pan and, after I cleaned it up with the scotch bright, I cleaned the inside with solvent, wiped it out, rinsed it with brake cleaner, and then blew it out with compressed air.

Sorry for the confusion.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my tranny started acting up again. When cold under part throttle in 1st it'll go up to ~3000RPM then shift into 2nd so hard it chirps the tires (I'm afraid it'll tear up my rear end shifting that hard). Then late shifts into 3rd and 4th. When warm it shifts too soon and not so firm. It'll shift fine manually when warm though. I'm afraid we'll have to give it its last rights. Just ordered a "stage 2" transmission with a 2300 - 2500RPM TC from Trans Depot. It was about the same price as their "Stage 1" with the 2300-2500 TC upgrade. 2 year unlimited mileage guarantee.

You must be registered for see images attach