My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the cap and rotor a set? If purchased separately they can have different tolerances. Also new plug wires have been bad before, might be a good idea to test them. I chased a problem for a long time that ended up being bad new plug wires.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tried 2 new sets of wires
Tried 1 new cap/rotor and the original used set.
New isn't the same as good. Testing to verify function is the right answer, not replacing with new.

I replaced a known working alternator one time with a much higher output one. It was brand new in the box from oreilly. Bad right out of the box. Took it back in and they tested it on their machine, sure enough totally dead. They then went back and grabbed another one off the shelf and tried to give it to me. I told them to run it on the machine before I would take it. They ran it and sure enough... bad. They didn't have any more on the shelf so they ordered some in from the hub. Went back in the next day to pick it up and the first one they tested... also bad. Second one tested good so I went home and installed it. Worked great for a week and then failed. Took it back and swapped for another one that tested good. That one has been trouble free for about 6 months.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will check the crank sensor tonight.
Seems like it was .030 with out any shims.
What should it be?
If you've already gapped it that's good, but I'm suggesting it just so tabs (figuratively) are kept on it.

HOWEVER, I have a very good suggestion I hope: Injector #4 and #7 signal wires are C1 (blue) pins 43/44 (respectively).... do you think you by chance have those backwards?

Injector 4 is Lt. Blue/Blk to terminal 43 on C1
Injector 7 is Red/Blk to terminal 44 on C1

At least on my 97 that's what they are.

@BNielsen , Check your 0411 file. I think your trucks are both 98's aren't they?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My sensor measures .725 from the base to the top.
Hole measures .755 from bottom of hole to top of reluctor wheel. So .030 on the money.
Wired properly but dang was i hoping that was it!
When i change the distributor this weekend instead of using my used spare im seriously thinking of a new one.
I will ohm the wires this weekend when i test the injectors but i can be fairly sure they are good as nothing changed after installing them.
What are the chances of having 2 sets of wires with the same amount of bad ones installed exactly the same way so nothing changes?

You must be registered for see images attach