My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like what they've possibly done is just messed with the VE table and Mad so when it goes into PE it's rich.
Pe has nothing to do with VE.
Seems to me like they targeted the ve to rich instead of the VE. If so, you can just adjust the injector lb per hour until fuel trims are between -5 and 0, but a wide band should be used to confirm trims are targeting stioch.
I have zero experience with the big block injection systems, but 46 psi sounds low to me. I'd expect 55+.
That is low. Spec is IIRC 58-62, but he got the pressure in check.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ve has nothing to do with VE.
Seems to me like they targeted the ve to rich instead of the VE. If so, you can just adjust the injector lb per hour until fuel trims are between -5 and 0, but a wide band should be used to confirm trims are targeting stioch.

That is low. Spec is IIRC 58-62, but he got the pressure in check.

Bending the IFR is NOT the correct way to get fuel trims in line. If you fake them you will mess EVERYTHING else up downstream in the tune.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bending the IFR is NOT the correct way to get fuel trims in line. If you fake them you will mess EVERYTHING else up downstream in the tune.
Dialing the airflow tables rich isn't exactly correct either.

It shouldn't mess anything else up, assuming everything else is correct, it is a main constant that effects everything. It is one method, but I would use a stock MAF curve, and rich VE, get trims in order on stock curve.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From yesterdays log this is what i have so far. Did a short warm up in the driveway with no driving and not fully warmed up. Later today i'll log a driving one and post results.
Misfires.
1: 0, 2: 2
3: 0, 4: 8
5: 0, 6: 0
7: 10, 8: 0

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's there. If not there would be a plus sign. That was trymalyzer from http://ecmhack.com/
That's what rich looks like with that program

I see 2 dashes there, even in the cells where there are no hits, no +/-. Either way the tune is off, to the point I wonder what cam is in there.

Dialing the airflow tables rich isn't exactly correct either.

It shouldn't mess anything else up, assuming everything else is correct, it is a main constant that effects everything. It is one method, but I would use a stock MAF curve, and rich VE, get trims in order on stock curve.

Well the log is from a stock tune, so there's no evidence that anything has been dialed rich. And yes, it WILL mess up the whole tune. It affects the torque calculations for one, which affects how the transmission shifts, BTM, and a whole host of other things. It is NOT the right way to fix fuel trims, it's right up there with PE r-a-p-i-n-g a tune except it touches so many more things.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see 2 dashes there, even in the cells where there are no hits, no +/-. Either way the tune is off, to the point I wonder what cam is in there.

Well the log is from a stock tune, so there's no evidence that anything has been dialed rich. And yes, it WILL mess up the whole tune. It affects the torque calculations for one, which affects how the transmission shifts, BTM, and a whole host of other things. It is NOT the right way to fix fuel trims, it's right up there with PE r-a-p-i-n-g a tune except it touches so many more things.
Good point about torque calculations, but if the airflow tables are of, they aren't right to begin with.

I thought the black box was "tuned" also?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Good point about torque calculations, but if the airflow tables are of, they aren't right to begin with.

Correct, but IFR isn't something you tune per se, it's a set it and forget it. The big 3 are IFR, VE, and MAF. Once those are correct, then you can set up everything else. If you do everything else then those 3, you have to go back and redo everything else.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's make sure we are all on the same track. I have changed.
1: Every sensor is new except knock sensors, Engine temp sensor. Temp sensor is reading correct as measured with a temp gun. All sensors are reading in the normal expected range. TPS, MAF, Map, IAT, All o2 sensors, IAC seems to be working properly,
2: Timing set. The installed set was new. Changed out to a new Cloys set. Trying to make sure the first installed set was not the problem. Cam is installed dot to dot.
3: Plug wires. The first set were new AcDelco. The second set are 8.0 mm Can not remember the brand but they were not cheap.
4: 3 Sets of spark plugs. A new set, then a used set, then another new set. They are gapped to 0.045.
5: Numerous compression checks. All cylinders are 155/160. Passed leak down test.
6: New distributor.
7: 3 Caps/rotors. New, used, New with new distributor.
8: 5.O injectors less that a year old and ran perfect in old engine. Reman stock GM injectors, Tested and working as they should and do not leak down.
9: Cat's are not plugged. Tested and shows less than 1 PSI at 2K rpm.
10: New FPR and FP is at 58PSI.
11: New AcDelco fuel pump.
12: New fuel filter.
13: Stock untouched black box ECM. Tried a tuned 0411, no difference.
14: Steady vacuum needle at 19 inhg.
15: What else is left?

Nothing has changed how it runs. It should be running like a bazillion dollars but it is missing and running rough.
When cold 1 cylinder feels almost dead. It runs better when hot.
Cylinder drop test, All cylinders make a difference about the same on each one.
I don't believe the lower intake is leaking underneath. Upper intake is not leaking.
There are no vacuum leaks i can hear or find.