My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had the valve covers off and had the wife spin it over, Valve train looked good spining over. Can't remember for sure but i don't think i watched it running.
Injector wires are on all proper like. Made sure of that today when i had the intake off testing the injectors.
I put the old black box ecu back in and was able to get a small log file and not fully warmed up. but should be close to what you would see after a short drive when hot.
Same small file but two formats. One is a .CVS the other is .LGF It is the only way Dash Command will do it. If anyone can look at em and tell me what you think it might help.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keeping it simple - why is your tune so rich, being as it was an in person tune at BB? Has your intake or exhaust set up changed? I would think that if nothing has changed, even a fairly incompetent tuner could get it closer than -15-25 on the fuel trims.
That's why I asked earlier if he did anything with the VE table or MAF curve.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a .CVS DC automatically sends it as a zip file.

Attachments

• DataLogs-Mar 31, 2023.zip
    103.3 KB · Views: 1

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Bank 1

Bank 2

Both Banks

This is what the data log looks like in a histogram.

I would suggest you get a wide band, and see if it really is that rich.

16% rich is like 12.3 Afr on a wide band. If so, why is it so rich on a stock tune?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno why so rich, Been trying to figure it out since day 1 with the rebuilt engine.
I'm down to 2 possibilities.

1. Something odd with ignition. I can mess with it that more this weekend.
Maybe somehow the CMP is messed up and is showing to be correct but is actually a tooth retarded. It does seem to run better if i advance the CMP to +5 but was just a short around the block test.

2. Cam is possibly retarded. It is installed dot to dot with the timing set so would be a bad cam from the manufacturer.
That might explain why the compression is lower than expected. It is 160 on the highest cylinder.
With 0.005 off the heads and block using a 0.020 gm performance head gasket i was expecting around 180/190 psi.
I did take the front end apart and install a new Cloys timing set to eliminate the possibility of a bad new timing set.

I'll drive it a little today and log the misfires so i can post that as i can see them now.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
16% rich is like 12.3 Afr on a wide band. If so, why is it so rich on a stock tune?
It's not a stock tune, it's a BB "Tuned" 0411.

Looks like what they've possibly done is just messed with the VE table and Mad so when it goes into PE it's rich.

I have a BB tune for a 454, I'd love to compare his to what I have and see if that's what they're actually doing.

I wonder how it'd run on a stock Black box.

@Spareparts I still have my old one, which is stock. You wanna borrow it? It's a '96 though

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero experience with the big block injection systems, but 46 psi sounds low to me. I'd expect 55+.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FPR was changed and is at 58psi.
Yesterday i changed back to the black box and the log i posted is from the black box stock tune.
The 0411 had the same (ish) readings.
I changed it back to the black box so i could see misfires, get crank relearn done again with new distributor and eliminate a possible non stock problem. All data for the last two weeks is relative as both ecu's give nearly the same data.
I now can see more data with the black box than i could with the 0411. Misfires being 1 important one.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Bank 1

Bank 2

Both Banks

This is what the data log looks like in a histogram.

I would suggest you get a wide band, and see if it really is that rich.

I don't see a negative sign there, you sure it's not adding fuel?