My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was your cam installed straight up with new timing set?

Also, where you 110% sure injector wires not mixed up?

Also I remember someone having misfires from injectors not being seated all the way in there hole, something to think about.

If you have a timing light though, I would definitely confirm if it has constant spark on all cylinders and eliminate the ignition system.

Also as has been stated try plug gap at .045.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was your cam installed straight up with new timing set?

Also, where you 110% sure injector wires not mixed up?

Also I remember someone having misfires from injectors not being seated all the way in there hole, something to think about.

If you have a timing light though, I would definitely confirm if it has constant spark on all cylinders and eliminate the ignition system.

Also as has been stated try plug gap at .045.
I always gapped them at 0.035" myself. The Vortec cap and rotor needs all the help it can get. The large cap HEIs are the only ones I trust not to carbon trace and crossfire at 0.045" or more. Once I start building cylinder pressure with even a large cap HEI, I close the gaps to 0.035" on them too.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe i should post a log of what i have done or replaced?
I would update your first post of the thread. Easy to find, and then everything is in one spot, and it's easy to refer people to it.
I set Dash Command to a 2002 chevy Express van. I'll see what it says in the morning.
Good. Make sure to validate PIDS after you connect and it should poll the ECU and it'll tell dash command EVERYTHING it is able to allow it to see. Then you'll be set.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you want to cross-firing and use Torque Pro, this is how you get misfires with a 0411:

At the main app screen, two the gear for settings, then press "Settings". Scroll down to here-

Then select a predifined list-

Then select the GM/Vauxhall/Pontiac one. Misfires ARE in this list, about halfway down.

Last edited:

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plugs are gaped to .045.
New timing set.
Injectors wired properly.
I can check the spark with a timing light.
Plug wires have been checked a bunch of times
I'll validate pids this morning.
Injectors are seated. They don't leak down and truck starts fine hot or cold.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So last night it was getting dark and I managed to get CMP set at +6 thinking I would set it tonight. Well it seems to run better.
I also validated the pids today in dash command and it still will not read misfires.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After reading a little bit of this I keep coming back to your comments about it running right with the tune on the old engine and running fine with MAF unplugged. Has the tune been adjusted by blackbear since you put the new engine in? Maybe the tune that blackbear did on the old engine isn't right for the new one.. or maybe I'm getting confused. It sounds like a tune issue to me though.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah kinda confusing.
It runs about the same with either ecu but slightly better with the bb tuned 0411

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Here ya go, straight out of EFILive, the blackbox stock tune on the plow truck (99 454 truck).

It's also not set to throw a CEL for a P0300.