My 2000 GMC C3500 Revival

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

northeastnick

Reaction score
Starter: Small news, got into a local vocational program for auto tech through my high school, looking forwards to that!
On to the actual deal though. A few months back I posted some photos of the 2000 I picked up I knew absolutely nothing about, in all honesty it was a nostalgia purchase more than a sensible one but it looked clean. My dad had a 99 Chevy K3500 when I was growing up, pewter stripper model with the body color flares.

You must be registered for see images attach

Long story short I grew up in that thing. He sold it 5 years back, and now at 17 I wound up with a project I thought would be easy. 2000 GMC C3500, same interior save the cassette deck his had. Looked clean to me, man was I wrong. For 600 bucks, who could beat the price? Especially with looks like this? Has the 5.7 and a 4 speed despite the VIN saying it came as a manual. Grill was swapped prior to my ownership for reasons unknown to me.

I got my karma for boasting about how good the sheet metal was. Earlier I had talked about how it only needed a subframe for the utility body, but I tore the duck tape off the vinyl and discovered a crunchy spot. Pulled up more vinyl, then pulled the seat and everything. Whole low area of the driver's side floor pan is toast. Poked at it some because it's like that itch you have to scratch. Picture speaks for itself, got theories on it but speculation doesn't change where it's at.

I'm out of files now so I'll make another post, I've been real busy achieving nothing while doing a lot lol

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just picked up this jewel. 1995 2500 2wd with similar looking floors. Looking to do a service body delete in favor of a flatbed, a rollbar, 2 spare tires, 35's, copious amounts of black paint to disguise the Municipal yellow, and LED's galore! Thinking street legal stadium race truck.
What's your direction?

Last edited:

northeastnick

Reaction score
Continuing where I left off, I pulled the bed, with only minor damage to the cab. Not bad for an almost 65 year old Case backhoe that makes my brake lines look like they hold fluid. Shipped that for free, local from town got it so I don't particularly care if I lost a chance to make money on it. Frame was a bit more mediocre than expected but still not the worst I've seen in my short time alive so far.

Hit a roadblock for a while, got busy with work and juggling family life, just did minor upkeep like needlescaling and some cleaning. Painted the grille to cover up some silver that was showing through, fixed some cracked plastics. (ignore my goofy wheelchock placement, decided to grab a photo in the middle of cleaning up :lol:)

Next major thing was doors from a generous guy in town, he was parting a C6500 out for his other rigs and gave me the doors. Loving the mirrors and new handles, and have no sag now. It's honestly kinda goofy but I love em, might get some CB antennas to just go for it.

As it stands I'm looking for a flatbed or waiting for steel prices to come down, bought some black fluid film for dressing up my frame and stuff, and am waiting on word on a floor pan. Getting ready to tarp her up for the winter because I don't have a shop. Learned a lot already and I still think it's the best 600 bucks I've ever spent.

northeastnick

Reaction score
Just picked up this jewel. 1995 2500 2wd with silimar looking floors. Looking to do a service body delete in favor of a flatbed, a rollbar, 2 spare tires, 35's, copious amounts of black paint to disguise the Municipal yellow, and LED's galore! Thinking street legal stadium race truck.
What's your direction?
Sorry for goin over your response there, I was writing my mini essay on the second half and didn't notice anyone sent anything! I'm thinking a micro gin pole flatbed for helping out around my dad's and grandma's place. Love your new rig, definitely a rare gem. That utility body looks clean, up in NH that stuff is everyone's dream! If you've got any advice or tips you wanna share, I'm definitely just starting to learn so I'm open to any advice. Also, you thinking of those LED bulbs they have for the WT style grill? Never had any experience with em

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw out the 2 glass beam headlights all together. Going with composites, I have a set of yellow tinted headlight and turn signals I took off another truck of mine. They were damn ugly on my Copper & Platinum colored Suburban...
But with a black bumper, black grill, black cowl induction hood, they should be OK. And a Municipal yellow bowtie to pop!

Last edited:

northeastnick

Reaction score
Black with a hint of yellow will definitely look real slick on a track-style rig, should stick right out! I heard somewhere the yellow tinted stuff does better in whiteout/brownout conditions too, not sure if it's true though. I'm probably going with the Indigo color, black OEM flares, and one of those oilfield style cattle guard bumpers. Rims will stay stock and get some battleship gray and black caps. I got my rig up near Franklin NH with 170something thousand, toast brake lines, and an occasionally dragging drinkers side drum. Still haven't dealt with it because I've got a day a week to work on it but over my February and April break I'll slam a full system in master cylinder back just to start fresh. It's tempting to get some vinyl place to do my bowtie with the 100th anniversary style one, black with white letters. I have other things I should definitely focus on before I dream about paint and other cosmetics though.
*Edit, I've got the cash waiting to do most of this stuff but I don't have the time. Soon™

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I've been through Franklin. On my way to Laconia... there's a ski mountain I've camped at during the summer: Gunstock. I'd love to make a winter trip when my kids are older. My wife and I've been up Mt Washington twice, toured north to Berlin, and down to the coast. Saw Chubby Checker in Manchester, summer of 04. Bought my '00 Denali at "Rt 111 Auto Sales". I love NH. I just wish New Yuck wasn't so damn backwards.

northeastnick

Reaction score
NH is a pretty decent place most of the time, I'm not a huge fan of summers just because it's peak tourism season but what local to any area doesn't feel that way? Farthest I've been into NY is my dad's friend's camp out in Hague, generally don't roam more than 40 miles from home until the winter trips start. Would love to explore upstate some more but after being on the road most of the summer I realized how much I like my dirt roads and logging trails. And as far as a backwards state, least it ain't Vermont. That state did a whole 180 in about 10 years. From Dodges and Chevies everywhere to subarus, people changed the same way. Still nice if you catch it on a quiet day though