My 1998 K1500 drum brake stuck.

Discussion in 'Axles + Brakes' started by jay1039, Aug 11, 2019.

1. jay1039

jay1039 Newbie

I am trying to change my drum brakes on my 1998 Chevy K1500 and cannot get the drums off. The emergency brake is not engaged and I can move it back and forth but it will not pull off. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any info on how to solve this problem would be appreciated. Thanks

2. alpinecrick

alpinecrick I'm Awesome

The shoes have worn into the drum and created a ridge. Take a big friggin' hammer (like a small sledge--or a big sledge) and beat each side of the drum where the shoes sit. Wear ear plugs........
    This should make the shoes retract enough to slide the drum off.

3. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

Could also try rotating the drum as you pull it off to get the shoes up on that ridge.

4. Vanishing Point

Vanishing Point Newbie

If none of the above answers work for you, you can also try and back-off the star adjuster through a slot (if you have one) on the bottom back of the backing plate. And with a brake spoon and or screwdriver pushing and spinning on the ratcheting pawl mechanism in a downward motion to help loosen the drum as you spin it, this way if it tighten's up and drum no longer spins, you'll know you went in the wrong direction in losing it.

5. jay1039

jay1039 Newbie

I did beat on it with a small sledge and nothing. I have 2 little slots at the bottom of the back plate but looks like there is metal blocking the slots. Should I punch them out with a screwdriver to get to the adjuster?

6. Schurkey

Schurkey I'm Awesome

Does the drum move relative to the lug studs?

Yes = drum grooved, hanging up on shoes.

No = Drum rusted to the axle shaft.