My 1998 GMC Sierra C1500 ECSB "Lacuna"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ConLinTech

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been lurking around this forum for a while now, and only recently have I got the urge to create a thread for my truck. So here we go...

My truck is a 1998 GMC Sierra SLE C1500 ECSB Small Block 305ci Vortec.
I tried to think of a nickname for, and ended up settling on "Lacuna" (a slight modification of the paint name - oh well...). The truck was originally my grandpa's, who was the second owner (?) and is believed to have bought it some time in 2001. It usually just sits in the driveway at the moment, as I've still got my learners at the moment, but it'll end up being my daily driver. It's honestly a great truck, with practically no rust, other than the surface rust on the frame, and a bit of surface rust I fixed in the bed, the bottom of the FL quarter panel near the door, and a few extremely minor areas in the door jambs. But it did have a strange parasitic drain, which I fixed by pulling the two 194 bulbs under the dash (odd, right?).
This truck doesn't have much of a backstory, but I know it will have some in the decades to come (I plan to keep it running for as long as possible).

I haven't done much to the truck, as I hope to keep it as stock as possible (although I know that will happen to a certain degree, I know I will do some stuff to it). So here's what I have done to it:
  • Repaired some rust spots (see Backstory)
  • Took the box off the bed and cleaned it out
  • Cut some little rings from a spare section of ABS pipe to make spacers for the fifth wheel tailgate so it wouldn't slide back and forth (which made it hard to close)
  • Disconnected the tape drive motor from the radio as it would spin and would only turn off with ignition (I certainly don't need it)
  • Used my angle grinder to clean the end of the tail pipe (should've used some kind of coat or something on it to prevent oxidization, oops...)
  • Cut out a remote locks/starter system as it never worked properly anyways, which, as it's not factory, I'm guessing maybe my grandpa installed it (improperly?), truck still runs, just need to maybe clean up the wiring or just tuck it away
  • Took the throttle body off yesterday to clean it (should probably clean the intake as well, in due time)

I'm not gonna add much here, but I thought I should mention some stuff about him that is relevant to the truck.
He was a pretty interesting guy, and unfortunately I never got to know him too well as he was already 77 when I was born - 17 years ago. He recently passed in late August this year, but it didn't hit me as hard as I thought it would, but he had some great skills and hobbies. I got some of my skills and hobbies from him - namely auto mechanics and general building and repair skills, like cleverly making something useful from something nobody else would've thought of (see the 3rd bullet point in Modifications/Repairs). He also had so many tools that we brought back from his house, got a drill press, grinder, you name it, he had it. Hell, he even had a wood lathe, which I think would (wood) be useful for later projects. Got a 1981 Case 80 rear-engine-rider lawn tractor from his place as well, which I cleaned up pretty good. It's on hold ATM 'cause I need a new starter for it (really expensive though).

<EDIT> I forgot to add pictures... Duh...
You must be registered for see images attach

The poor girl really doesn't like the cold - she wouldn't start today, I did work on the throttle body yesterday, but I think it's just cause the highest temperature today was about 2°C (35.6°F).
When I end up working on it a bit, I'll update the thread again, which could be several months away (5-6 months), as Saskatchewan weather is generally pretty damn cold most of the time, which really sucks because I don't have a garage...

Last edited:

ConLinTech

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Even though the truck is very clean, I have something in particular that bothers me slightly: there's this dirt/dust that keeps appearing right in the cavity directly under the headlight. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep this area clean, other than just covering it up? Is there some kind of coat or some kind of paint that prevents dirt in there? I know I could just clean it all the time but that would kinda be pointless...

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
That’s a clean truck and I see a lot of potential. That color when it’s freshly waxed in the sun looks amazing.

Look forward to see updates