My 1997 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjmspartans

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latest update on the wheel hub madness...

I wound up disconnecting the CV axle and removing the entire assembly with the steering knuckle attached, then took it to Cal Poly's machining shop to drill out these stubborn bolts. Two of the bolts just came off after using a breaker bar, and the two others had to be drilled out.

After those four bolts were removed, we had to use a pulley puller to separate the knuckle from the hub as it was disconnected from the truck. With some finesse, we got the two separated and were able to knock out the studs using a hydraulic press. After the studs were removed, the hub was able to be easily removed from the rotor and then it was time to order some Domino's :p

The fun part was putting the new hub on. We tried putting the studs back in with a punch and hammer, but it was incredibly loud and just wasn't working out. We got creative with the hydraulic press, and were able to support the rotor with metal blocks on the rails of the press. One by one, we got all eight studs seated after applying 2500 PSI which we thought was pretty insane! Now that the job is done, all that I need to do is put in the new seal on the knuckle, replace the ABS sensor since it was contaminated with grease from the bearings (explains why my ABS light was on), and finish the night off with a cold beer :cheers:

Out of curiosity for those seasoned with changing rotors on the K2500: Is there a tool out there to put in these wheel studs? I would like to do my own brake jobs, but I don't always have access to a hydraulic press. With that being said, 2500 PSI is an incredible amount of force and I feel like using a punch and a hammer wouldn't yield good results and take forever to do o_O

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

cjmspartans

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a week of sitting on jack stands, the burb is back on the road! Replaced the CV joint, wheel hub, ABS wheel speed sensor and sway bar link on the front passenger side. Two weeks from now I plan on doing the same job on the drivers side because the bearing has excessive play. Hopefully after that my ABS will work again!

cjmspartans

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some pictures taken today at Jones Pass, which is near Idaho Springs, CO. The elevation at the summit of the pass is 12,454ft which is quite fitting for the engine in the burb lol. From the beginning of the road near Henderson Mine, there was a total elevation gain of 2,017ft. The 454 did great... kept the 4x4 in low range and it just crawled. I will say that getting the burb around some tight switchbacks wasn't exactly my favorite thing but she made it up with no problem.

I was going to get more pictures of the burb at the top of the pass, but I heard thunder and had to get out of the alpine so I wasn't a lightning rod. All in all, fun day! This is the first time I've truly used 4x4 since I had to replace the actuator on the axle so I'm happy that it's all working properly.

cjmspartans

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Annnndddd one more picture for funsies. Near the campground at the bottom of the road to get to Jones Pass there was a steep incline, so I crawled up it about halfway to get some nice nature pictures as well as another burb picture.

cjmspartans

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already posted this in the daily trucks thread, but posting here so that way all of the pictures of my Suburban are in one place.

Took it on some 4x4 trails off of Apex Valley Road near Black Hawk, CO. It ran well and I didn't damage anything, and barely squeezed through some of the trees lol. Can't say that the truck was too fond of crawling on some rocks, but it didn't scrape at all... not even the skid plate.

cjmspartans

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another run to Jones Pass with the burb... this time with my DSLR, and no smoke in the air! :)