My 1997 Chevy Z71 "Black Betty" Build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
So here we are, a year later and I'm finally uploading pics and a build thread!

This first photo here was taken the day she became mine in september of 2013, she was bone stock with 152,000 miles. because of previous bad business the dealership I got this truck from gave it to my parents for a 24 hour test drive to make sure we were much happier this time around, I was absolutely thrilled!! so here I am after I came home from school, found out my dad made the down payment for me ($500) and it was up to me to pay the other $4,000
You must be registered for see images attach

I was a senior in high school and I'd dreamed of owning this exact truck for years, and you better believe I had senior pictures taken with her!

This first year hadn't allowed me much money to spend on her, but I feel like I created a lifetime of memories just driving everywhere. At 17 years old and working part time at a burger king, to make the payment of $210 a month along with insurance and gas, phone bill, and a girlfriend I spent more than I should have on. Somehow I made it work though lol working for less than minimum wage..

Took this photo here in about december '13 after I installed some step tubes and diamond tread mud flaps (which I later removed cause I got tired of them bending due to all the snow)

Last edited:

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I love the truck! Keep up the good work!

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Took me 16 so far! Time is plentiful, money is not.

you can say that again lol I've been lucky enough to get a better job this past month so hopefully things will improve soon! i'm looking at 2in. rough country lift keys so i can hopefully fit 285's without any trouble and i'm looking into some new rims!

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
So in february of 2014 I had a catalytic converter clog up..

On valentines day exactly, my girlfriend an me were on our way to dinner with her friend an her boyfriend, we had stopped for gas before driving about 40 mins. to dinner and when i fired the truck back up it sounded much louder than normal, since i had no money to do anything to my exhaust yet I was happy for a free mod!:gr_grin: until it started to really affect my fuel economy.....:thumbsdown:

So "cat deletes" were installed, you can see on the heat shield where the cat turned cherry red.. I put my hand to carpet inside and you could feel the heat lol

Attachments

• iphone 005.jpg
    iphone 005.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might have to get my obs and bring it down to work sometime, that might motivate you some lol

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Don't buy keys they are a waste of money