my 1994 silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So we needed an overdrive trans with lockup converter for sonny's barracuda. Got to looking for 1989-1995 dodge dakota or full size 2WD pickup with a 42RH trans. Scored one with a popped V6 for $400. Towed it home and pulled the trans , wiring, and whatever else it needed. Sold a bunch of parts and scrapped the rest, but not before making this handy scrap trailer out of the ass end of it.

Honestly I would have liked to have scored something with an 8 foot bed, but the price was right. I am into the trailer for about $100 in supplies, but after selling off dakota parts and scrapping the rest I am prob into the trans and the homemade utility trailer for zero $$$s. Made a small wired in power panel that fit inside the old fuel door. When lights are powered, you can turn it on and light up utility lights I plan to add to the trailer. Tows like a dream, even has helper springs on the back. Just gutted brakes off the backing plates, and slipped the drums back on. Mounted a spare on the front. Reused OEM harness and removed wiring that wasnt needed. Will eventually knock the dents out of it and paint it.

Dont scrap those old shot GMT400 parts trucks before making a handy utility trailer out of what's left of em. I would have loved to have an 8 foot GMT 400 trailer painted to match my truck with rallyes mounted on it, but needed that trans and the cheapest way was to buy a whole Dodge truck for it. Maybe some day I will score a GMT400 parts truck with a long bed that I can repurpose.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More trailer pix. Almost all the lug studs were tortured and bent. Rock auto and Dorman to the rescue. Made a nice licence plate light with a .99 cent waterproof cob led strip I got from evilbay. Going to mount a metal ammo box on it for ratchet straps storage. I may have waaay overdone the hitch but will never worry about it coming apart. At least not in my lifetime lol.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still continuing on w sonny's car. Basically unfucking a minitubbed ex drag car. Temp braced the framerails with old steel tubing and bedframe angle, then cut the spring relocation boxes out. I had 14 gage steel leftover from when my shop was built. Same thickness as a mopar unibody framerail. Made my own repair patch panels. They still need a little grinding and a skim coat of JB weld to make it like it was never messed with. Had to make a parking brake cable bracket as well. They hacked that off years ago.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once repairs are done, I will hang the rear axle and springs back on it, and push it outside on a tarp, and sandblast the framerails inside and out, then apply a good 2K epoxy primer inside and outside of the rails, then start working on putting all stock sheetmetal back in.

The amazing part is the transition pan, and main floorpan will fit right through the drivers side or passenger side door hole with the quarter window rolled down. The trunk pan will fit right through the trunk opening.

Previous owner that hacked it up had bent and bludgeoned the outer framerail flanges to fit his pop riveted aluminum tubs. I have to straighten and hammer and dolly them to accept a floorpan. As well as patch them where damaged.

Heres pix of one such patch. This car was/is a mess. Only a 318 auto on the floor coupe. Not really valuable in the grand scheme of things, but I know how to fix such things so it's not really hurt, and my labor is free. Plus it's something I enjoy doing.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The epic scrap piles from the demolition lol. And the typical boogershit welds I removed from the frame after removing the spring relocator boxes. Look at the hackery that was on the trans tunnel lol. This car was a factory floor shift automatic w console and buckets. I have all the parts and brackets to put all of that back in.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quality work man! Love seeing all the work

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the kudos. I am sure most on here have car projects as well. I am hoping some of my ideas and repairs filter out to other folks on here, and that they can use these ideas for other projects. I was out there in the shop the other day. And my wife asked me if I was actually going to be able to put this thing back together. Then she stated she had never seen me tear one down quite that far, and stated that it looked like a gutted deer LoL. I said honey your mistaken, it's a barracuda so it's more like a fish carcass. Ye of little faith. LoL it's slow going when I only get to really work on it maybe 1 or 2 days a week.

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve always loved your truck.

What size tries are you using. Are those the 15x8 Rallyes?

The drop looks good. Have you had any issues bottoming out the rear without a notch?

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks 4 the kudos. I love the way it sits. Not too low, rides great. No bottoming out issues at all. The rims are 15x7 pickup rallyes on front from 71-76, and 15x8 chevy suburban rallyes on the rear. I had to cut notches in the bed floor U channels to get the upper shock relocators to clear. Those 15x7s were hard to find even living in truck country. The tires are 255-60R15 and 275-60R15