my 1994 silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally sanded bare, a little bit of bodywork, and 2 coats of Aerodour green epoxy etch primer. This is tough stuff. It etches into the metal, and even paint stripper wont take it off LOL. I need to scuff sand the epoxy primer after it dries, and apply a high build sandable gray primer over top of it next.

You must be registered for see images attach

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good! Painting is on my skills to learn list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks man,

Been messing with bodywork since the mid 1980s. This is only the epoxy sealer for the metal to seal it. When this hard assed **** is dry, I will sand it to roughen it up and apply some light gray sandable primer. Then flip it over and prep, prime, and paint the inside of the hood. I cant wait to put it on, and drive my truck while looking over that cool cowl scoop.

The roof is next. Its got hail dents and burnt off paint with surface rust. I need to sand it to good clean metal, body work it, and seal it up with the epoxy.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, got a bit more done this morning. Sanded that hard assed epoxy primer, and applied 2 coats of light gray Nason fill n sand gray primer.

Also cleaned, sandblasted and repainted my trailer towing loops. Got new stainless mounting hardware too. I put these on in 1995 when i moved to Texas so i could hook up safety chains to tow a Uhaul out this way. They needed a freshen up.

I will be doing my jeep shaft swap today too

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sandblasted and redid battery tray. I used epoxy primer, then rustoleum semigloss black over the top of it. Very little rust for an original battery tray. Just slight surface rust. The few spots cleaned right out with the sandblasting, and a little grinding with an air angle grinder and some 2" sanding discs.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow i cant believe i have been AWOL this long. Been so busy with family life, work, and rounding up the parts for a 1969 barracuda notchback i plan on doing a father and son restoration on. Also built a carport off the garage so my truck now sits under cover from the weather. Not too much done lately but i did a road trip 2.5 hours up to Whichita Falls to a Mopar buddys place to pick up a V8 K frame and lower control arms for the 69 cuda.

I really took stock of her while i drove up there and determined that i need a better game plan over this winter. 160k on the original fuel pump i'm thinking on the trip home that i have passed lucky and entered into the downright dumb stage of this adventure, and i am way past borrowed time on this pump.This will be one of the things on my extended list of must change out items.

I work in aviation maintenance at a heavy check depot. So this being said its about time she gets opened up for a C check. Time change certain items before they become a problem like the fuel pump. Hoses, belt, plugs, plug wires. Also plan on going through and redoing the A/C and getting that to work again

Also going to make a list of descrepancies i need to address or perform needed maintenance on, like all the power stuff in the doors. Also make a second list of modifications i plan on making. Work off both lists as i get money and time.

I got a couple cool ideas i plan on doing, back lighting update to the power window and lock switches in the doors, indirect illumination for the inner door pulls, some water proof utility lighting inside the truck bed. Truck has a 2" -2" front rear drop, i am going to lower the front 1 more inch and the rear 2 more inches giving her a 3"- 4" drop. Also going to cut and lower my seat mounts about 2" on the stock 60/40 split setup as i am pretty tall and i want to sit down feeling more in the truck.

I will be posting pix as i do them. Stuff will come pretty sporadically as i can do it. I was also planning on buying a complete Bosch fuel pump and sender assembly from Rock auto. Any thoughts? My sender works. I did just an AC delco pump cartridge on my wifes old 99 'burban and it lasted only 6 weeks, so i ended up replacing the whole thing with a delco unit, so i was thinking of shying away from just swapping out the pump cartridge.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well last monday i put a fuel pump in my rock auto shopping cart along with other goodies to start on my trucks repairs and upgrades. On my way home from work i stop at harbor freight to look at 1 ton chain hoists to do a bed lift and pump change. I get back in my truck, fuel pump went poof. Got lucky, it ran good enough to get home. Had to short shift at 1,500 rpm. Above that the engine would stumble pretty badly. A quick code check and i had a lean condition. Fuel filter is pretty new, ditto for O2 sensor, computer to engine ground was good. That leaves the pump with low pressure.

Up went the bed, and out with the fuel pump. I installed a new Denso pump cartridge, and new filter sock. There was a thick sticky grease like substance all over the top of the sender and lines. I had to use laquer thinner, a screwdriver, and a brush to loosen it up and an air blower to get rid of it to get the old pump assembly out without dropping crusty **** into the tank I got it all cleaned up using some small wire brush wheels on a pencil grinder. There was some small spots of light surface rust on the outside of the tubing. Changed out the pump and strainer, and reinstalled. I lubed up all the O rings with Dow Corning DC33 o ring lubricant. After i reinstalled the pump assembly i repacked the top, lines, and metal fittings with DC33 on a brush. The metal in the mating flange and lock ring area was very clean when i removed the old sealant so i figured i needed to reapply something to this atea to protect it. The tank was very clean inside. Something that made me pretty happy.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While bed was lifted in the front i took the opportunity to work on the last of the 4" rear suspension drop. Made it a lot easier. I think the bell tech stuff , although its quality made, i think these parts are really made for RCSB trucks. Mine being a RCLB i had issues with bed floor U channel supports on both sides of the frame being right where the front hangers needed to go. So i had to trim the floor supports on the frame to get the hangers to fit. Also had to trim out a section in a floor U channel for the RH upper shock relocation bracket to fit. I think if this was a short box truck, this u channel and brackets wouldent be there. Also the parking brake cable mount in the kit only holds one cable with the clip end leaving the other fully sheathed cable to just flop around under there. I installed a used Adel clamp out of my box of scrounge hardware. Made sure it would loosely hold the cable like the hole in the original hanger did. Drilled and installed it with a self tapping tek screw.

On a RCLB i would not recommend this kit for a novice working out of your driveway or apartment parking lot. Lots of cutting, fitting, and drilling. I had everything i needed tools wise to do the job without leaving my shop except to get something to eat, and go whizz. If i had a bathroom and a microwave in my shop, i would never have left all weekend. Additionally in hindsight i should have hit the do it yourself car wash and power washed the underside before starting on it. The amount of fine dirt and clumped up fine dust that knocked off this thing when i was modding it was pretty insane.

I plan on actually lifting the bed completely off today so i can knock out dents in the wheel houses, and floor from the underside prior to getting it shot w a spray in bedliner. I will take that opportunity to hose off the frame and get rid of the remaining dirt and dust. May even hit the underside of the wheel houses with a little fresh spray on undercoating.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some more work today. I hindsight i shoulda just removed the bed altogether to do everything. Just got it all back together tonight. Truck feels almost new the way it accelerates. I think maybe the pump may have over time been slowly failing and just slowly losing pump pressure as it wore out. I could definitely feel a ride difference with those upper shock relocator/extenders. Less choppy than before. Still need to add the lowers though.

Anyhow, i pulled the bed, left it hooked to the chain hoist with a little tension on the straps, as a safety, and set it on saw horses. Floated out dents in the floor from under the truck that i could get to. Weld filled a bunch of screw holes from bed accessories i no longer have. Had a couple popped spot welds in the floor. I spot faced em w a 3/8" drill bit, and welded em up.

Dents in the inner side walls and floor that i could not reach because of lack of accessability i just ground to bare metal, and applied JB weld with an autobody squeegie. The spray in liner place is going to scuff the livin **** outta the inside of the bed prior to spraying the bed liner in, plus its 1/4" thick on the floor, and 1/8" on the walls. So the filler doesnt need to be perfect, it just has to be shaped closely to what it needs to be. I have to fo a bit of filler work on the inside of the tailgate as well.

Truck frame was full of 25 years of a fine powdery dust and dirt that i disturbed doing the last of the 4" drop. When i rolled the truck outside i blasted it with the garden hose , and removed all that dust and dirt. Frame has some light surface rust, but no deep pitting that would be found in northern climates. Maybe some day i will strip it all down and get it powdercoated, but for now i am happy with it as is.

You can see a nice dark Blue 94 GMT dash hanging up in the backround in the shop next to the one for my kids barracuda. Mine has cracks in it at the upper screw holes, and at the speaker grille cutouts. this one is the replacement. A future job to do on my thread. Will need to be cleaned and repainted grey before i install it. I plan on scuffing and JB welding aluminum stiffening plates underneath where the cracks typically start to help prevent this from happening on my uncracked replacement dash.

Heres pix

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After the bodywork, new cowl hood and repaint happens i will be freshening up the front end. My local Chevy dealer had one 1994-1999 GMT400 grille left in stock they made me an offer i couldent refuse, so i bought it. I hit up rockauto for new aftermarket headlights, turn signal lenses, and reflectors. That stuff was made by TYC in Taiwan. It fits really good in the grille however and is that stock look i am after. Price was awesome. Headlights were $25 each and came with phillips bulbs already installed in the headlights too.

Now i am trying to decide on the bowtie. My original has a chunk broken, but still captured in the grille. I thought about gluing it back together w solvent adhesive, sanding it and painting it, or after repairing it using a carbon fiber wrap and reinstalling it on the new grille since its been with the truck since new. An alternate is getting up the big scratch for a new gold tone GM bow tie. Not a big fan of the black n red ones. This grille and headlights are getting stored away in the box until after the repaint happens. Then the original grille will get hung up on the wall of the shop.