my 1994 silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Our black lab retriever mix passed last night. He was 12 years old. I kept telling the kids this past year , y'all need to love on him, he is at the end of his life. At 4pm I noticed him stumbling around, couldent stand up, and he couldent hold his bowels. Grac and I carried him out to the backyard and set him on the grass. She sat with him, I called my wife told her what was going on and that originally he was doing 19 respirations per minute, and she needed to get home quickly. I checked when we got him outside and he was down to 12 per min. I told Grac, you need to love on him. This is the last time you will ever have to do this. So we sat and talked to him and petted him. She wanted me to call a 24 hour vet. I told her, Grace , Bo is dying. There is nothing that a vet can do for him. Just love on him, pet and talk to him, let him know we are here to comfort him. I told her, he is in the backyard grass where he can see the sky and smell familiar smells in his yard. He knows we are here. Nobody should ever die alone, not even pets.

He was down to 6 breaths per minute, and very very shallow breathing. Wife bolted from work, got held up at a damn rail crossing, and got home too late. My oldest daughter got there just as he passed. We took him to the vet this morning to get him cremated and put in an urn like I did for my dog Sadie Girl a little over 2 years ago. First time since 2006 I am dogless. Hows it feel? Weird and empty. Cat was crying and looking for him. We put him in the garage on his bed and covered him up last night until we could take him to the vet this morning. We took her out there to see him. She nudged him with her head and he didnt move like he normally would.

Will I get another dog? Probably not. Sadie was my best friend and sidekick for 18 years. Putting her to sleep while holding her was the worst for me, because she was seriously hurting and suffering. Ditto for watching Bo slip away while sitting and petting him, but somehow I dont feel as bad, because I didnt have to make that hard decision to end his life, then wonder and second guess in hindsight if I made the right decision . God did that for me, and took him home. The night before he ate all his food and was pretty normal, and the day he died he was a bit lethargic in the morning but nothing really out of the ordinary for his age. When he went, it went down hill quickly. Like within 2 hours. Heres the thing, you love em like they are your kids, because in a way they are like your kids except better behaved. When they pass, it's just waaay too hard.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Several years ago we had to live with my cousin and his wife and their 3 dogs, for several months. Those dogs helped us with things we were going through (losing my dad in a house fire) and accepted us into the "pack" right away. My cousin's beagle really liked me because I would get down on the floor and play with him, and his "daddy" was too tired from work to play with him much. The wife's dog was a senior dog, and she passed while we were living there. Very hard for all of us....
Same when my cat passed after 15 years. They really are part of the family! And animals treat you as you treat them.... something we can learn from IMHO....
Sorry for your loss!

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will I get another dog? Probably not. Putting Sadie to sleep while holding her was the worst for me. Ditto for watching Bo slip away while sitting and petting him. You love em like they are your kids, because in a way they are like your kids except better behaved. When they pass, it's just waaay too hard.

I keep telling my wife after this one I don't want any more dogs. I love dogs, but it tears me up when they pass on. Inevitably, the wife will find some pup that needs rescuing and the cycle repeats.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
My cousin and his wife had another beagle before Charlie (the one we knew). It was very difficult for them when they had to put Barney to sleep, and his ashes are in an urn on a high shelf in their house. They weren't sure they wanted another dog, but Charlie is another rescue beagle, that had been rehomed several times before they got him. I see why beagles are so popular, cause they're cute even when they are tearing stuff up!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I keep telling my wife after this one I don't want any more dogs. I love dogs, but it tears me up when they pass on. Inevitably, the wife will find some pup that needs rescuing and the cycle repeats.
My great grandmother was the same way. One of her dogs passes, "no more dogs, I'm not getting another one". Then another dog would come into her life, and she would love it and care for it just as she had with the other ones.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
My condolences to you. I had to take our previous Cocker to the vet to have her put down about 10 years ago because my wife just couldn't do it. I held up pretty well until I called her afterward. We're both now more attached to our Doxie that we've had for about 8 years now. I'm not sure what we'll do when the time comes with her. Our pets surely become part of our hearts and family. God bless you, friend.

DirtBag

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to have my last 2 dogs put down at the Vet. The first one was a Rott/Greyhound mix that was a good boy that led a long life, I held him as he went to sleep. The second one was a female Schnauzer that was my best friend the minute we met. She led a long life, and I also held her as she went to sleep. I still think about them from time to time. But I have been blessed with a new best friend...a Goldendoodle that was supposed to be my wife's dog...we let her pretend. I see both of my old dogs when I look at him, and it brings me a little peace. Good luck and keep your chin up man.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wife and I were at work today, and my youngest 2 kids were with my oldest kid. House was locked up. I came home to this. Apparently Grac wanted in the house. She doesnt have a key, because I dont trust her with one. Now I'm sitting and waiting for the police to file a report for an attempted break in. I suppose I'm going to strengthen the jamb with a piece of steel angle the full length of the jamb screwed into the stud behind the jamb. My security storm door was unlocked because the kids went out the front and just locked the main door. Anybody want this problem. Wife told her to get her $hit and GTFO and not come back.

Attachments

• 20230408_195403.jpg
    20230408_195403.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife and I were at work today, and my youngest 2 kids were with my oldest kid. House was locked up. I came home to this. Apparently Grac wanted in the house. She doesnt have a key, because I dont trust her with one. Now I'm sitting and waiting for the police to file a report for an attempted break in. I suppose I'm going to strengthen the jamb with a piece of steel angle the full length of the jamb screwed into the stud behind the jamb. My security storm door was unlocked because the kids went out the front and just locked the main door. Anybody want this problem.
While that's a real bugger to have to come home to, I suppose at least now you will get to see if the Police will treat her differently now that she has passed her 17th birthday.