My 1990 C1500 SWB Build - Daily Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Not going to lie J, that was anticlimactic....

*turns key to a stock like cold idle* :Big Laugh:

Oh but then...blower whine with the rev :headbang:

I'll be honest. This was the least drama filled first start of an engine / new combination in my life.

The really neat thing about the idle, this is a STOCK positive displacement blower cam, from GM. My biggest thing is going for rock solid reliability.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
My biggest thing is going for rock solid reliability.

Pretty much what I want out of anything at this point.

In about 10k miles when the Comp 918 valve springs are shot on my Z28, the FMS F13 cam is coming out for something that can run LS6 springs, and at the same time that Level 3 Monster clutch is going bye-bye too.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Pretty much what I want out of anything at this point.

In about 10k miles when the Comp 918 valve springs are shot on my Z28, the FMS F13 cam is coming out for something that can run LS6 springs, and at the same time that Level 3 Monster clutch is going bye-bye too.

I used to call this, getting old. But i've also learned a massive duration cam, doesn't always mean massive power. Especially with a stock or near stock head on an LS. The secret is lift and appropriate LSA.

I see tons of guys putting these No Springs Required cams in their trucks, to just gain 20hp and all daaaaa chop. But in reality, a milder duration cam, higher lift, will gain 40+hp.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Alright, time to mount the A2W intercooler! Dug around, found some spare DOM tube I had, cut it down into standoff's from the radiator support. Ground down some bolt heads, welded them to the tube, then welded the tube to the core support. Just what I wanted, a bolt on, bolt off intercooler. OEM grille fits well and it doesn't interfere with the Condenser or Radiator.

You must be registered for see images attach

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Alright, some more progress here.

I want to keep air conditioning, but the current R4 compressor and billet bracket, just won't work with the LSA single belt drive. I need a few more idlers to keep the belt wrap appropriate.

My wife, knowing this, bless her heart. Had a brand new ICT Mini-Sanden 7176 kit come back to her work as a return. Managed to pick it up on Friday for $100. That's $229 off of the list price for ICT retailers at $329.

This should give me the additional idlers to provide a good belt wrap for what i'm after.

Also went to Mecca yesterday and picked up a replacement trans hump section, to repair the multiple shifter holes in my truck.