My 1990 C1500 SWB Build - Daily Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Alright, AC manifold modified and wrapped. Time to get this thing charged and blowing out 25* air again!

You must be registered for see images attach

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Alright, received the AC system tools, today. Did some learning and found a nice chart that references Ambient temp to Low side and High side pressures for good charging.

Vacuumed the system down to 30" for a half hour, shut the low side feed off, killed the pump and it held 30" for 10 minutes. Then started charging it, truck actually took 38 ounces of freon to achieve a consistent compressor run and 47-50* vent air on a 90* day.

Test drove it down the highway, it was AWESOME to cruise with the windows up, 75mph and AC on.

In other news, the wife's 2020 Camaro is getting long in the tooth. So worked a deal on the ONLY in stock 2023 SS I could find. We'll go down Saturday morning and sign the paperwork and drop off her 2020, which we're keeping the black ZL1 wheels and putting them on the new 2023.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
How far did you get the low side to pull down when it was cycling? Seems to me you could get about 5-10 more degrees cooler air out of it. I've got my Z28 down to 40.

Glad to see you doing another Camaro!

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
How far did you get the low side to pull down when it was cycling? Seems to me you could get about 5-10 more degrees cooler air out of it. I've got my Z28 down to 40.

Glad to see you doing another Camaro!

Right at 50psi idling. 42-45 at 2000rpm. Its definitely at the limit of this system. The feed to the dryer is sweating so bad, I now have a self washing inner fender.

I believe we're at max effort for this system.

Which is all 1994 spec R134A parts. The R12 system is long gone from this truck.

Kinda regret not keeping an R12 system. Even with synthetic Freeze12, I'd gander we'd see 25* air.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Parallel flow condenser and get an adjustable low pressure switch. Get that thing in the 20s for psi!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good rule that's easy to remember if you don't have the chart is low is half of ambient temp. High should be double plus 50. Gets ya really close in a jam anyhow. So a 90* day, low side about 45 high is 230ish