My 1990 C1500 SWB Build - Daily Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Alright, finally ready to commit time to messing with this build again. I pretty much have everything, except for the Cam and valvetrain. Which has been ordered, now.

I went with a stock GM LS9 Cam, Valve Springs. I guess i'm getting older, to the point of where i'd like a stock smooth-ish idle, over the typical john force pro-mod idle.

Hours upon hours of research, have shown numerous Gen 4 6.0-6.2 setups, with rec port heads and this LS9 cam on stock boost 9-10lbs making 600-640whp consistently.

I suppose next weekend, i'll pull the 6.0 down, go thru it and see what's going on. That'll dictate if the shortblock goes to the machine shop or not.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Disassembled the Gen 4 6.0 over the weekend.

Found the rocker valley's to be the cleanest i've ever found when disassembling even a low mile LS.

Of course the driver side of the engine was a greasy mess, considering the huge aftermarket hydraulic pump was an oil leaker. Engine didn't leak any oil.

Continued disassembling, working down to removing the cam and lifters, after the heads came off. Found only one pitted lifter and worn cam lobe.

At this point, I checked bearings, bores and cam bearing condition. Everything was in really good shape! I'm still going to disassemble the shortblock this weekend and send it off to the machine shop. Going to do a hot tank, hone, new cam bearings, gap the rings for 15-18psi and have the shortblock reassembled. Should run about $700.

Moved on to cleaning the valve and valley covers, so I can apply my signature wrinkle coat!

This will likely be the only progress on this truck until after the first of the year, when the shortblock is done.

I do plan to go thru the square port heads this week, put in new valve stem seals and install the LS9 valve springs. They'll be shelved after that, until the shortblock comes back.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Fully tore the 6.0 down to just a block. That was kind of a waste, as every bearing, bore and ring looked immaculate. Definitely not the 140k mile engine as expected, with a worn lifter and cam lobe.

Should be done as a reassembled shortblock, shortly after the 1st of the year. Getting a hot tank, hone, new cam bearings, rod and main, arp rod bolts and rings gapped for 14-16psi.

Shouldn't have an issue making 750+whp and having excellent street manners.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Picked up the King Rod and Main HP bearings, Engine tech (same as king HP) cam bearings, Enginetech rings and ARP 8740 rod bolts.

Dropped em off at the Machine shop Saturday.

Now we wait til around January 15th.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Alright, we're back together.

Cleaned and checked valves and guides, new valve stem seals, LS9 valve springs.

On to the rocker trunnion upgrade, next. But that'll be tomorrow evening.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Went ahead and did the rocker trunnion upgrade today, no real other stuff done.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Well, the replacement for the AR5 has arrived.

Meet my brand new Tremec T-56 Magnum-F, the highest torque rated 6 speed transmission, ever made! At 700ftlbs capacity.

I've been debating going back to a 4L80E / TH400, but just couldn't convince myself to do it, especially after cutting a hole in my floor for a manual trans swap.

I have a feeling, it'll be pretty hard to break this one.

Last edited: