My 1988 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
Brakes are done and working better then they ever have. still working on adjusting the drums out with the ebrake. While i was under there all new cables went on as well as new u joints.

finally found/fixed the header leak.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now I'm getting ready to order a full gasket/seal set for the transmission and transference. a 3000 stall torque converter, some parts for a manual lock up, governor calibration kit so the truck shifts in the power band of the engine, a 3 core aluminum radiator, and so piping to make a new upper hose.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
Pull the transmission and transfer case Saturday evening. Only took about and 1.5 hours. Not counting clean up. Resealing the transmission is turning into doing a full rebuild of the spare one I have. Out of the 4 bolts holding it to the transfer case only one was there. The bottom two no longer have threads and one of the top corners is completely missing.

The thing was leaking bad from the pan and the transfer was leaking from the input and both output seals. More the front seal than the rear. But it was a big mess on the under side of the floors and inner frame rails.

So saturday night/ Sunday morning I reseal the transfer case and cleaned it up a bit. All the ordered transmission parts are in, just need to get the transmission down to the builder.

Nice and clean.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
The transmissions are at the shop. They are pulling mine apart looking for issues and going the do a complete rebuild/overhaul to the spare transmission I have. The builder also mentioned that a possible reason to why the tail end broke was due to lack of transfer case support. So i did a little looking into it. I guess some trucks came with a bar to support the transfer case so the weight wasn't directly on the transmission. So since the last time i posted I've been slowly building a brace to eliminate this possibility.

Started off by replacing some of the bolts with studs and making cardboard templates.

Then mounted up a spare casing i had laying around and figured out where the tubing is going.

Finished them up last night. Just need to paint them up. If i ever finish building the new powder oven, they will get coated to match the rest of the truck.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
And they are finished... for now.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely interesting. Why didn't you just build a cross member instead of the bars attaching up front? I'd be worried abt it pulling back, I could be totally wrong but never seen any type of set up like that. If it works badass then.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
Definitely interesting. Why didn't you just build a cross member instead of the bars attaching up front? I'd be worried abt it pulling back, I could be totally wrong but never seen any type of set up like that. If it works badass then.

Here is the one that came with the NP208. It would be the same as running without it. The brace is there to take some of the weight and strain off of the tail end of the transmission.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
i like it. looks like itll be a bit more of a pain to get those top 2 bolts now though

Thanks,

Design it to be able to get a deep socket and change on each of the bolts.

Also a 3 inch body lift makes is a lot easier to R&R the transmission.

Last edited:

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
Finally getting around to installing the ac condenser and new aluminum 3 core radiator. Also switching from mechanical to electric fans.

Fans fitted and trimmed.

Working on mounting

Kinda finished

Ill be making a new upper "shroud" to make it look pretty as well as making a upper radiator hose.

On another note. I picked the transmission up last night so if all things go well the truck should be running by the end of the day Sunday.