My 1988 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
Time for a little update.

Timing has been locked at 36*. engine seems to be responding well. But this will be revisited after the carb is tuned correctly. Speaking of the carb... I mentioned a lean condition earlier. Well I'm retarded and completely read the wideband wrong. It runs dead rich when you start to accelerate not lean. Jetting did not change anything so I finally took a vacuum reading. 5in at idle. Guess who just ordered the correct power valve for his carb?

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
With the new power valve installed its running a lot better. I have some hesitation on mid to hard acceleration that I'm having trouble tuning out. One of three things is going to happen. ill get it tuned to where I'm happy, it will end up at a speed shop getting tuned, or i will throw more money at it with a new ignition setup and a fitech or holley efi setup with controllable timing. We shall see.

Oh and i blew up the new starter yesterday so a new one is needed.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
Well last night was fun. The truck had a nice way of telling me to put a new gas tank in. Got a knock on the door last night from the fire department letting me know that my truck was dumping gas and it made it all the way into a brook down the road.

I'm telling you, I think this dam truck is cursed. I'll have to name it Lucifer or something.

So at this point I'm done with this thing flipping me off. Was talking to the wife late last night and decided to just dump some more beans into it. At this point, the truck is about 75% new. So I'm changing the game plan a bit so i can us this thing reliably. First thing is first, replace the entire fuel system. I really don't want another incident. I already have the new tank cleaned and prepped. I'm going to replace the fuel pump with a high pressure/ high flow pump. re-calibrate the sending unit so the gauge reads correctly. I'm going to replace the carb with a EFI unit. Replacing the distributor with a 2 wire distributor and MSD 6al box. New starter per the above post. That should take care of the engine and fight back the curse under the hood. After that the interior is getting finished (Rubber floor, Seats recovered, door panels refinished, headliner, finish sound system, refinish the rest of the plastics). ill probably end up adding a gauge for fuel pressure too. Once the interior is finished I'm going to start sourcing for a dana 60 front and rear. I'll be swapping the IFS out, just a matter of if I want to go with coils in the front for a better ride or go with some leafs. But ill worry about that when that time comes.

Here is the gas tank prepped and painted. Still needs another coat.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
Geez man. You just can't win!

I can honestly think of something that happened every time something was done on the truck. For instance, the first year I had the truck i put a tonneau cover on it. The very next day a branch fell off a tree and put two or three half inch holes in it. Either extremely bad luck or the dam thing it cursed. Either way I don't like it and its not going to win.

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
I can honestly think of something that happened every time something was done on the truck. For instance, the first year I had the truck i put a tonneau cover on it. The very next day a branch fell off a tree and put two or three half inch holes in it. Either extremely bad luck or the dam thing it cursed. Either way I don't like it and its not going to win.

Just add more money, time, blood sweat and tears.