My 1980 z28 project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Run a shorter filter. It looks like the filter you're using is really tall. If it's hitting the header before it unscrews all the way, I'd think it's close enough for the exhaust to be heating the oil in the filter.

Is that a Gen6 454? I don't think it would be a good idea to run your only oil filter inline with the oil cooler... not enough flow, assuming you're using the stock ports in the block.

Derick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Run a shorter filter. It looks like the filter you're using is really tall. If it's hitting the header before it unscrews all the way, I'd think it's close enough for the exhaust to be heating the oil in the filter.

Is that a Gen6 454? I don't think it would be a good idea to run your only oil filter inline with the oil cooler... not enough flow, assuming you're using the stock ports in the block.
The filter will unscrew and drop down a couple inches but won't come out without unhooking the exhaust and loosening the header.
It is a gen6 454, all stock internals.