Muncie/Getrag transmission any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
There's a truck that I'm interested in buying, it's a 1991 GMC C1500, 350 with Muncie/Getrag transmission (not sure what Getrag it is, I'm just reading off of the build sheet the person posted on the ad). Were these 5 speeds any good? Truck's got 175k miles on it. Only thing I would do to it is adding long tubes and custom exhaust, everything else engine wise would be stock, not expecting this thing to win any races.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The pre-93 light duty 5 speeds were not as good as the later ones and are reportedly extremely difficult to rebuild. Externally they are identical but the early models (usually called the 5lm60? not 100% on the particular years) are much more complex internally. Usually when people say the muncie they mean the 4 speed but it's unlikely that a 1500 would have that; the code for the 4 speed is M20. If it's been maintained well the trans could probably be just fine, definitely test drive and listen for any bearing noise.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
As long as you don’t put too much power through it (375 is a no no btw), you’ll be fine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HM290/5LM60/NV3500 are "similar, but different" transmissions that supposedly require tear-down to positively identify.

There's posts on this forum for guys who want to get rid of the NV3500 in favor of the NV4500.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If it's currently working OK and you're not going to beat on it, it'll likely be fine. They aren't terribly strong transmissions, and they're reputed for being a pain to rebuild, requiring a bunch of specialized tools and experience.

Richard