Multiple Electric Issues? Coincidence or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tpok454

Reaction score
Update:

I used the "paperclip" method in the OBD1 port, I did not know that was a way to read the codes. I'm currently getting a trouble code #13 (downstream O2 sensor).

I will be replacing the the sensor this evening. This would make sense and hopefully can continue to help with the high idle and rich fuel condition which I seem to be experiencing. I will keep you all updated.

Tpok454

Reaction score
If you have a scanner graph the voltage on the tps and see if it's doing anything wonky while the truck is acting up. My volvo had transmission issues that were actually the tps shorting to 5volts. The ecm thought I was going wot and downshifting the transmission.
If replacing the O2 sensor does not correct the issues I will look into the TPS

Tpok454

Reaction score
Okay, new update.

I replaced the O2 sensor last night, but I am still getting a trouble code 13 and now my SES is flashing! (I've read on here that generally means a misfire). The flashing SES did not come on immediately after replacing the O2 sensor. Last night I replaced the O2 sensor, then took it for a test drive. The transmission issues I was having before seemed to go away (but they are also intermittent and unpredictable so I can not rule them out) but SES still come and indicated to me a trouble code 13. It was cooling off and getting late so I decided to mess with it another day. Because apart from the SES light the truck was running perfectly fine.

This morning I go to start it and I had to give some gas to start (it got pretty cold last night and this isn't unusual) however once the truck fired up it ran rough for the first 1-2 minutes (assumingly because the throttle body assembly was still cold). But then it was running fine yet I had a flashing SES light. Once I got to work I disconnected the battery to clear the codes. I assumed the rough start and idling this morning threw the knock sensor off?

I just recently went out at lunch break to hook the battery back up and try it. The engine struggled to fire up without tapping the throttle a little bit. Once it fired up, the SES light came on flashing again...

Any ideas?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
STOP using a paper-clip, connect a real scan tool. Verify EVERY sensor and computer output.

How old are the usual "tune-up" items--plugs, plug wires, distributor cap 'n' rotor? Check PCV, ignition timing/timing advance, fuel pressure, etc. Verify ignition coil output with a spark tester calibrated for HEI ignitions.