Mufflers for no converter true duals--- IDEAS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of true duals. Not the best setup for power. Best power is achieved with a proper single exhaust.
This hasn't been proven. I haven't seen anyone do a direct comparison between true duals with an X or H pipe against a good single exhaust. I'll stick with my X-pipe, thank you.

Engine Masters did compare a well-designed 3" single exhaust against a 2.5" dual exhaust with no crossover. On a 351 Windsor they got 420.5 hp with duals and 424.5 hp with the single. They also ran shorty headers - long tubes would be different. Most importantly, that was with straight-thru mufflers. When they did the same test with "turbo mufflers", they got 414.7 hp with the duals and 383.5 hp with the single.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tend to agree on the duals with xpipe. For me, the xpipe seems to really cancel out alot of annoying drone in the cab. Keep the pipe small to keep velocity up, and you should be fine; no more than 2.5". I like to put the xpipe as close to header collector as is possible, or asap after cats if being used. This gives some distance between xpipe and muffler/s. my experience anyway.