Muffler vs muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd rather see average #s as opposed to peak #s personally, that tells the real story.
Yeah, I hear that.
Yeah, that's another story. I've always thought a 3" single would flow about the same as dual 2-1/4" but, not as well as 2-1/2" just based on cross section. What I think I'm seeing is better scavenging from the "Y" pipe?:33:
I'm comparing B and E. The systems with the straight thru mufflers. Most turbo style mufflers have a 2 or 2 1/4core even if they have a 2.5 or 3in inlet/outlet.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I'm comparing B and E. The systems with the straight thru mufflers. Most turbo style mufflers have a 2 or 2 1/4core even if they have a 2.5 or 3in inlet/outlet.

Dynomax Super Turbos are one of the very few that offer 2.5" and 3" flow paths all the way through. I run two 2.5" units on my 454. Quiet and zero loss as compared to a dual 2.5 to 3" single straight through Magnaflow copy.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a Dynomax Super Turbo 2" dual inlet/outlet muffler on my RX-7 back in the day. You could see straight through that thing. I got pulled over for noise the day I got it back from the muffler shop. I ended up welding SuperTrapp tips on it. On the way to and from the autocross I ran with 4 baffle plates and misfired all the way. On track I just removed them.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a Dynomax Super Turbo 2" dual inlet/outlet muffler on my RX-7 back in the day. You could see straight through that thing. I got pulled over for noise the day I got it back from the muffler shop. I ended up welding SuperTrapp tips on it. On the way to and from the autocross I ran with 4 baffle plates and misfired all the way. On track I just removed them.
yeah Supertraps. They didn't work for a lot of people.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't have the full SuperTrapp mufflers, just the tips with the baffles. They worked great for taking the sting out of the rotary exhaust. Without the baffles in place the exhaust was painfully loud.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't want to hijack, but yes. It was a half-bridgeport with Weber 36DCDs. Below 3000 rpm I would stay out of the secondaries and it ran on the center street ports. Above 3000 rpm I could open the back barrels to the outer bridge ports and it would scream all the way to 10,000 rpm (redline was 9,000). It sounded like an F1 car.