Muffler vs muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
does anyone have any real world experience with Borla Atak vs FM super 10s? I currently have True dual 3" exhaust and super 10s. My truck sounds good but I want louder. I dont want exhaust cut outs bc they leak and rattle.

I read where borla atak mufflers are louder and sound better than a FM. Does anyone know?.

Thanks

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't care for FMs. I can't help you with atak but I have a single 3" Borla Pro XS (straight through flow. It's loud enough for me with a high flow cat. A little drone @~65MPH but not bad. HTH

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to google what HTH meant hahaha. A performance shop here in houston carries the atak muffler and most all others. I asked them and they said the atak and the super 10 are about the same but the atak is louder with a slightly different tone with less drone. I not sure the difference is worth the money. The atak is about 220 per muffler. Currently i have no H pipe or x just true dual with no cats.

Is there an advantage to x pipe or h pipe? I know what the internet say but do yall have real world experience w them?

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Better scavenging with an X- or H-pipe. Better torque/hp #'s.

I prefer an H...it mellows the pipes down a bit, an X can make them sound more like a dual into single setup (not a bad thing).

Can't help you on the mufflers, I'm past the "loud" pipes of my youth. I've found tone to be more important.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm reviving this thread because I didn't wanna start a new one. I was watching Engine Masters yesterday, they did dyno comparisons (with a Ford 5.0 IIRC) between true dual 2-1/2" pipes and single 3". Then they compared "Turbo" mufflers with straight through. Also a 3" 90* "T" or a "Y". Guess what? The single 3" with "Y" pipe and straight through won by a considerable amount! This is with 3" all the way from headers back and no X or H pipe in the 2-1/2" dual pipes.

I mean a 26 Ft/Lb and 41 HP gain in 3" between Turbo and straight through! My SOTP dyno said I gained power when I switched to the 3" Borla Pro XS but I didn't think it could be that much!:waytogo:

They did mention another episode where they compared true duals and crossover pipes. They said neither H or X made much of a difference over each other but did help power gains over true duals.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can read about exhaust theory until your eyes bleed. I've always found it interesting. Always lots of talk about the effects of exhaust pulse scavenging etc. We forget that we only have one cylinder firing at a time.

Now the chart. The single with the 3 inch straight thru 10 ft lbs 200 rpms sooner and still comes out 4 hp up over dual 2.5 with straight thru's that has more cross sectional area combined. Perfect! But hows that ? lol

The only thing they could have done better would be to re run the tests with Schumacher or Thorley Tri-Y' headers. probably another 10 ft lbs there.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's another story. I've always thought a 3" single would flow about the same as dual 2-1/4" but, not as well as 2-1/2" just based on cross section. What I think I'm seeing is better scavenging from the "Y" pipe?:33:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing they could have done better would be to re run the tests with...
An X pipe on the 2 1/2" exhaust. I'll still go with dual 2 1/2" pipes and a crossover before I go with the single 3".

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I'd rather see average #s as opposed to peak #s personally, that tells the real story.