muffler replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
several years ago I wanted a muffler that sounded a tad more aggressive that the OEM muffler.
I installed a Flowmaster 524553 Super 50, and it did just what I wanted, until now.
I've grown tired of hearing it.
I need a replacement that is not as restrictive as OE, but near as quiet.
Looking at a Walker 21289.
In the off chance that anyone else has been down this road before me, I ask for
advice/suggestions, anything appreciated. 99 Yukon 5.7
Ron

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 3 chamber muffler sounds good and is less restrictive than OE. You don't get the drone at highway speeds like a 2 chamber does.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had flowmaster for years, it burnt out on top of the muffler. I wanted something a little less loud and went with a magnaflow with 2 1/2 tailpipes to rear corners of bed turned down and out of sight. Now I have drone, I removed the under rail bedliner when I had it painted and put a new heavy rubber mat in and that helped some. Overall sound I like better, but not the drone at the sweet spot of RPM.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Walker 21289 is apparently the most direct replacement for the original muffler.
You can get it from Rockauto.

Last year I bought the Walker 21289 and couldn't be happier. One of the previous owners (I bought my Tahoe in late 2014) apparently replaced the original muffler with a very short muffler (about half the length of the original, one inlet pipe instead of one and both inlet and outlet pipes diameter smaller than original...). I'm in Slovenia, Europe, and it seems the previous owners didn't know where to get proper parts for an American vehicle so they used what they could...
Whatever muffler shop installed it, they made it work but it looked a mess and sounded like it... Actually it sounded kinda badass - but it was too loud and particularly the drone inside the cabin was getting really annoying.
Just look at this monstrosity:
You must be registered for see images attach

Long story short, immediately after I got rid of the crap you see in the picture and had the Walker 21289 installed, the drone was gone and overall noise decreased considerably. The truck sounds slightly less badass but still ok. I'm very happy with this muffler.
Unless you know exactly what you're doing, go with stock parts (or whatever is closest to stock replacement).

Last edited:

Dyingbreed

Reaction score
I just had a 3” system installed today, after stock system finally rusted out. I haul a camper regularly so I was worried about drone/volume. I have no cat, single 3” system after stock y pipe, 3.5” Flowmaster pro series laminar flow muffler. I Love it, I only hear it if I get into the pedal. Zero drone. I couldn’t be happier. 89 k2500 5.7 350 tbi longbed ext cab. Whole system cost $350 in my neck of the woods.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I realize this thread is a lil old but Im running this QUIET muffler and I am really happy with iy : Walker p/n 18180 muffler 3 chamber turbo muffler inside, 3 inch ends, single offset inlet , single center outlet around 29 inches overall long , oval case around 7 wide .

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I used a Walker bus muffler on my dually, dual 2.75" in single 4" out with a Diamond Eye tail pipe and 1/2" hangers. Sounds almost quiet as stock.