MSD Ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shoe97K1500

Reaction score
I was thinking about putting an MSD distributor, ignition coil, plug wires, and ignition box in my 1997 suburban 350 vortec was wondering if anyone else has done it just trying to gather information i know it wont be a big power adder just want to do it to gain some more mechanical experience?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have an Accell billet distributor in my 97 Vortec 5.7. It been I there for a long time. The real gain is to get ride of that OE plastic garbage GM distributor.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Don't waste your money. Unless the engine is modified it won't do anything.

But it won't hurt anything but your wallet!

Now if you want to open up the plug gaps to maybe squeeze out some more mileage, or you are putting a turbo on it, or some other way of increasing the cylinder pressure a hot box is the way to go!

When the distributor fails replace it with a metal body distributor.

Spiral core plug wires (I use Taylor brand), platinum tipped spark plugs (I like NGK) and a cap/rotor with brass terminals is as good as it gets stock.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MSD spark boxes--and their competition--are really-good at covering-up improper carburetion.

In other words, carb runs too lean at idle, leads to lean-misfire. Install MSD, improved spark fires the too-lean mixture, engine runs better. Everyone thinks MSD fixed an ignition problem, when the truth is that it made a carburetion problem "go away".

The better fix is to adjust the carburetion fuel curve so it doesn't misfire.

MSD was NEVER as reliable as they want you to believe; although I think they got worse in recent years as they offshored more to Communist China. Thirty years ago or more, they were selling switch-boxes and coil selectors so racers could install two boxes and two coils, so that when one failed, the driver could flip a switch to activate the other ignition system and hopefully finish the race.

I've had an MSD 5 failure, and an MSD 6T failure. There's a 6AL in my 'Camino; but I dont' think it's got 2000 miles on it in thirty years.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MSD spark boxes--and their competition--are really-good at covering-up improper carburetion.

In other words, carb runs too lean at idle, leads to lean-misfire. Install MSD, improved spark fires the too-lean mixture, engine runs better. Everyone thinks MSD fixed an ignition problem, when the truth is that it made a carburetion problem "go away".
Well said… for the same reasons I suspect an MSD would help cover up a modest injector problem at idle / low load.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MSD was NEVER as reliable as they want you to believe; although I think they got worse in recent years as they offshored more to Communist China. Thirty years ago or more, they were selling switch-boxes and coil selectors so racers could install two boxes and two coils, so that when one failed, the driver could flip a switch to activate the other ignition system and hopefully finish the race.

I've had an MSD 5 failure, and an MSD 6T failure. There's a 6AL in my 'Camino; but I dont' think it's got 2000 miles on it in thirty years.
I ran an MSD 6A on my RX-7 for years. Fortunately I never had a problem with mine. When my alternator died, it got me home with only 8 volts left in the battery. It was absolutely awesome, but way overpriced for what it was. The Crane Fireball Hi-6 was the same thing in a box half the size with rev-limiting built in for a lower price. Either box is 1970's technology. Take a look at the NASCAR cup cars. They have two MSDs with a switch in case one box fails. You'd think that in all this time they'd be able to improve the reliability.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The better fix is to adjust the carburetion fuel curve so it doesn't misfire.

are you refering to carburettor engines, or to fuel-air mixtures in general?

i may be wrong but i recall a post of yours recommending to get rid of the MSD because it prevents proper engine data scanning and trouble shooting.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you refering to carburettor engines, or to fuel-air mixtures in general?
Typically carbureted; or poorly-adjusted non-feedback fuel injection. Feedback fuel injection should never be that lean.

i may be wrong but i recall a post of yours recommending to get rid of the MSD because it prevents proper engine data scanning and trouble shooting.
That doesn't sound familiar. I had a 6T on my '88 for awhile. My concern with MSD--and the reason it was removed from my truck--is the high failure rate.