Msd Distributors 96-00 sbc Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigredburb47

Reaction score
Has anybody else had bad luck with these msd distributors???? I love msd products but I’m already going on my 3rd msd distributor in the last three years since my motor rebuilt, I was just wondering if it’s worth even buying another one hence they are almost $300 bucks while other ones are half the price :shrug: Looking for your guys and girls opinions and suggestions

Last edited:

Bigredburb47

Reaction score
If you are running something close to a stock engine, the AC Delco or Delphi OEM distributors do the same thing that aftermarket distributors do--and usually more reliably.

yeah I was thinking the same thing and it wasn’t making sense on buying a distributor for the the of two, just thought you would get more out of one that is a more reputable brand like msd??? Like I said I I’m on my third distributor In the past three years

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Supposedly, those aluminum replacement distributors from China have been working for people. I bought a new Delphi several years ago when they were cheap on Amazon, but haven't actually installed it yet.

What issue are you having that is making you replace the distributor?

Bigredburb47

Reaction score
Supposedly, those aluminum replacement distributors from China have been working for people. I bought a new Delphi several years ago when they were cheap on Amazon, but haven't actually installed it yet.

What issue are you having that is making you replace the distributor?

i was driving my suburban to work the other day and it completely cut out on me after taking off at a light and when it cut off it back fire from the exhaust, so when I coasted it in to a gas station and put gas in it thinking it was that cause you know our typical gas gauge like to sword fight with the oil gauge and isn’t accurate.... but when open the hood I noticed the spark plug wire on cylinder 8 was not on so I put it back on, and all it started doing was just back firing thru the exhaust and the intake this time

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Then since it's an Accel you should get the good distributor cap they make, the tan one with brass contacts. They probably have a comparable rotor with brass contacts, hopefully that's what you get too.
I've had good luck with the Accel cap and Blue Streak rotor on my Burb, 99 5.7 vortec. The cheaper white parts house brand rotors lasted less than a year. Mr.Blue has been happily spinning around for a year and a half now, driven in Houston traffic every day. I learned back in the day on the coil in cap HEI units not to skimp on the cap and rotor. It makes the coil, module and other bits in the distributor last longer. That's also part of why GM redesigned the ignition system to separate the coil and module from the distributor housing, to get them away from the heat inside it. Doing that also made it easier to locate the components in the increasingly cramped engine compartments....

Bigredburb47

Reaction score
Then since it's an Accel you should get the good distributor cap they make, the tan one with brass contacts. They probably have a comparable rotor with brass contacts, hopefully that's what you get too.
I've had good luck with the Accel cap and Blue Streak rotor on my Burb, 99 5.7 vortec. The cheaper white parts house brand rotors lasted less than a year. Mr.Blue has been happily spinning around for a year and a half now, driven in Houston traffic every day. I learned back in the day on the coil in cap HEI units not to skimp on the cap and rotor. It makes the coil, module and other bits in the distributor last longer. That's also part of why GM redesigned the ignition system to separate the coil and module from the distributor housing, to get them away from the heat inside it. Doing that also made it easier to locate the components in the increasingly cramped engine compartments....

yeah I agree on not going with cheap parts, cause I always say going will just cost you double than what it would costed buying the more expensive quality parts. I rather spend the little extra cause I do take my burban wheeling and don’t need it breaking down cause I went with the cheaper part....