Mrs. Skylark's 06 GTO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oil temp and pressure doesn't look great on the old Ferd?

Also, know that the GTO box has triple/double synchros vs the double/single of the Firebird box. Plus the gearing is different.

The old Ford has a pair of mechanical gauges for the left and right heads so the factory temp gauge won't work. The factory set up uses a switch under the edge of the dash to switch from one side to the other and we want to see both easily. The oil pressure is over 50 there but the gauge has never read properly. It has a mechanical gauge too.

The GTO tranny is definitely the better tranny but it is hammered. We used the Fbody due to availability. What I didn't realize is that a clutch must have blown up in the Fbody previously so we also need a bellhousing, if we are going to rebuild it. I'm wondering if it is worth it by the time that we get an upgraded rebuild kit, hard parts and a bellhousing it might be time for a Magnum F.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The old Ford has a pair of mechanical gauges for the left and right heads so the factory temp gauge won't work. The factory set up uses a switch under the edge of the dash to switch from one side to the other and we want to see both easily. The oil pressure is over 50 there but the gauge has never read properly. It has a mechanical gauge too.

The GTO tranny is definitely the better tranny but it is hammered. We used the Fbody due to availability. What I didn't realize is that a clutch must have blown up in the Fbody previously so we also need a bellhousing, if we are going to rebuild it. I'm wondering if it is worth it by the time that we get an upgraded rebuild kit, hard parts and a bellhousing it might be time for a Magnum F.

If no internal hard parts are gone, the rebuild parts should be in the realm of $1000, no? Did it otherwise shift fine?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well this sucks. They won't warranty it because it has been too long. They're checking to see if Scroggin Dickey will. Pretty crappy. This was my first time ordering from them and they had piss poor service and communication at that time. I almost canceled my order because it didn't arrive in time to do the job when I had a free weekend.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If no internal hard parts are gone, the rebuild parts should be in the realm of $1000, no? Did it otherwise shift fine?
The input shaft is $400+, bellhousing is $170ish, the front bearing is hashed with almost 1/2" of up and down play. I'm fairly certain that we're going to need multiple hard parts.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The input shaft is $400+, bellhousing is $170ish, the front bearing is hashed with almost 1/2" of up and down play. I'm fairly certain that we're going to need multiple hard parts.

Right, but beyond that? FWIW I wasn't counting synchro rings/hubs as hard parts, they're the most basic part of the rebuild.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the bright side, the Fbody T56 works flawlessly, the gtog8ta shifter is nice, the old clutch was pretty much like new, the Voodoo Chicken carrier bearing works great and my wife is extremely happy. I'm curious about if we get any better mpg out of that .5 overdrive 6th gear.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, I failed to mention that I bought her a Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX kitchen sink of a radio. There isn't anything that it doesn't have. Cd, dvd, apple car play, android auto, sd card, pandora, usb, navigation and more. Now I just need to find a nice backup camera for it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
On the bright side, the Fbody T56 works flawlessly, the gtog8ta shifter is nice, the old clutch was pretty much like new, the Voodoo Chicken carrier bearing works great and my wife is extremely happy. I'm curious about if we get any better mpg out of that .5 overdrive 6th gear.

So. . . GTO box for the S10?