Moving leaf springs inboard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Using the existing springs is cheaper and faster to make happen than a 4 link or other pricey modification. Will be just as much room as a 4 link or whatever else

Are you denying that a wider tire is more traction?

I’m in it for looks first but traction is a plus.

And it’s going to be pretty cheap. Not a lot of work. But our definition it cheap and lot of work clearly don’t align

So….you’re widening the tire contact patch on the axle with the least amount of weight on it. . Think about that.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the leaf springs aren’t parallel. Wider in the front than in the back. I made the mistake a few years ago of ordering a 15x12 wheel and Micky Thompson 325/50-R15 drag radials. Measured backspacing from the rear part of the leaf spring. BIG MISTAKE!!! Anyway, mounted the tires on the wheels and went to put them on the truck. Oops! I’d already sold the wheels off my truck, so I had to figure out how to make these meats fit. Embarrassed to say, but I mooned out the leaf spring a bit with my grinder, added wheel spacers, and rolled the lip on the wheel well. Worked, but I never liked it. I eventually back halved it with a 4-bar setup. All is well now. I guess if you’re going to go through the hassle of trying to relocate your leaf springs, you’d probably be better off just running a 4-link or ladder bar setup. Then you’d have more than enough room. Here’s my truck with 15x12’s and 325’s
You must be registered for see images attach
That's hot!

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So….you’re widening the tire contact patch on the axle with the least amount of weight on it. . Think about that.
It's the only axle that's driven by the engine and a wider tire on it is still more traction for the given curb weight. Get your head wrapped around it. They put wider tires on the driven axle on the back of race cars, go-carts, and lawnmowers for more traction

Last edited:

ZONES89RS

Reaction score
Yarrrr

All components here for the fuel cell to be installed…..

Sadly I cannot touch it til after Sunday.

May be getting another 88 SWB as well. I’ll be flipping that one for cash

Matt Ayalla

Reaction score
Your gas tank will be in the way. So that will have to be moved. along with the filler neck or you’ll have to redo fuel lines if going to a cell. Along with exhaust system piping. Shocks and hangers too. Most likely brake lines. Etc
That’s a lot of expense and custom work for a wider tire that has no benefit other than looks
Yeah, you’re right. That is a lot of extra work and expense. But, if you want that “look” and want a big-ass wheel/tire combo, then it’s to be expected. I don’t have the stock fuel system in my truck, so it wasn’t a big deal to run new fuel lines. I opted to use a early 60’s Mustang tank between the frame rails. Fits really nice. Just remember, cool ain’t cheap and cheap ain’t cool. Not that I’m swimming in money, I just knew what I wanted. Took a couple years of buying parts here and there to get what I wanted. Wasn’t going to put it on a credit card.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 505FEBBB-233A-4572-992C-45D0A5125E29.jpeg
    505FEBBB-233A-4572-992C-45D0A5125E29.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 26