More Towing, More Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreenvilleZ71

Reaction score
Hey ya’ll,

i purchased a 1998 z71 K1500 a few months ago. The PO took very good care of it with detailed service records.

Only has 98,000 miles now. The transmission was replaced back in 2005 with an AAMCO reman 4L60e. I have a construction business and regularly tow a dump trailer rated at 7,000# max. I typically only pull a load of 4-5k# (combined trailer and load) once a week or so.

My regular trailer is an enclosed single axle only rated for 3500# total and is normally loaded at 2500# or so.

Transmission has been pretty decent until the Torque converter started shuttering really bad at highway speeds... especially when towing. I always tow in 3rd gear BTW.

So, I’m looking at having the 4L60e rebuilt by a good mechanic that said he’d upgrade whatever I’d like to make it more beefy. He suggested an extra cooler, shift kit, towing torque converter, and a few other things

Just curious on suggestions. Before spending a week of research, i was about to sell it and get a newer truck that can tow more. I’m now leaning more towards rebuilding, but I’m seeing mixed reviews about how reliable a 4L60e can become.

suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents here in houston 4l60e from gm was about $2500. 3yrs/100000mw. Knock on wood been good to me. If I had to get a rebuilt tranny. I would tell the guy I want it bullet proof. While back I got wider clutches, shift kit and it was all suppose to be better then stock, long story short HATED the shift kit it would hit hard. Maybe he built it wrong but it SUCKED. didnt take long for me to blow the tranny. Guy rebuilt it back under warranty 1yrs btw. Soon as I blew that one went to dealer they had a promo for full size trucks got a stock gm tranny and been with me since. Shift smooth and so far been pretty good for all the rough driving I do. Anyways my 2cents. If your gonna keep the truck and do towing maybe switch to 4l80e. If your gonna get rid of it then I could see you rebuilding it. I just feel like your taking a chance on somebody building it.. btw stock has a trans cooler and aux trans coole . I know there not the best but adding another one seem extreme. I could see swapping it for a bigger one lol..

GreenvilleZ71

Reaction score
That’s a good idea to check out the dealership.

Ive also had the same concern of trusting the shop that rebuilt it.

i found a shop that EVERYBODY goes to. He offers a 2 year warranty and only rebuilds to better than factory specs. He charges $2500

I have a friend of a friend that will do $1800 for a few extras in the towing dept.

Truck is still up and going for now. Planning to hold out while i figure out the best route.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. I wish somebody could build the 4l60e out of titanium. Probably be throught the roof expensive lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Torque converter shudder can be cured without a rebuild. You need to eliminate the TCC PWM function and you'll be golden. I forget who makes it. Depending on the year, you may get away with restacking the existing valves to essentially pin it in place.