More smoke after new seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. The only thing different is your exhaust seal is gripping the valve. Mine doesn't touch it. Another thing that might be causing trouble is the o ring seal gets pushed out of the groove by the rotator when trying to put keepers back in. So i bought a stud mount compressor. It should be in by Friday

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to put the o-rings on AFTER you have the valves in place and compressed. Basically right before you put the keepers in. It's a pain in the rear, but if you don't do it that way, you'll tear the o-rings and have exactly the problem you're describing.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have to put the o-rings on AFTER you have the valves in place and compressed. Basically right before you put the keepers in. It's a pain in the rear, but if you don't do it that way, you'll tear the o-rings and have exactly the problem you're describing.

Ok that's what i noticed in a couple youtube vids. Those lil o rings do more work than the bigger seal?

Reaction score
yes they form a seal between the retainer(rotator) and valve stem which together with the tin hat keeps most of the oil off of the valve stem. If you don't have it or it's mangled then oil will run right down the valve stem.

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok that's what i noticed in a couple youtube vids. Those lil o rings do more work than the bigger seal?

Think of the valve stem seal as a controlled leak. It has to let enough oil by to lubricate the valve stem in the guide, but not too much or there will be excess oil consumption and blue smoke in the exhaust. It's amazing they work as well as they do, for as long as they do, considering the environment they are in.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. I'll buy more seals. The ones in there are prolly stretched out from being pushed out of the groove. Ill give it a go again this weekend. If it don't work, guess I'll save for a new engine. This one has 262,000 miles. I had a 94 z71 with 350,000 that was in my ex's family since new. So i know these engines can go a long way. Wish me luck!

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update. Finally redid the seals on my truck. Happy to say its fixed! No more smoke on startup or during drive. Also went through 3 different exhaust seal part numbers to get the right fit, the white seals #ss72526. If I selected a k1500 instead of a k2500 of same year on fel pro website, It specified one of these sets. Weird huh? The ones for a k2500 are too big for the exhaust valves. Are there different valve stem diameters on 350 tbi engines?

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s good news. I’m getting ready to do this. How did you tighten/adjust the rocker arm nuts – any issues there?

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s good news. I’m getting ready to do this. How did you tighten/adjust the rocker arm nuts – any issues there?
Tightened till no lash, then one full turn. All the specs are on an old gm publication I found on the internet. I'll post a link. I highly highly recommend you buy a stud mount spring compressor. $38 on amazon for powerbuilt brand. So much easier than the clamp type. Find a starter shim to put on the outside edges of the compressor to help it push the spring down evenly. The angle of it binds up the o ring if not used. Again, get the stud mount one. Heck, paypal me $40 and I'll let you borrow mine! Its prolly going to be the only time i use it. Anymore questions, just ask. I've done it 3 times now. Lol