More pulling power from my K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, time for a drag race and towing test! Make sure you get it on video
My vote is for the LS and that’s based on experience. My 350 TBI was a complete turd. Everything about the LS engine is better and they respond better to modifications like cam swaps. Superior heads, fuel injection and bottom ends are all better.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

TBI is an injection system, not an engine. The TBI 350 is still a 350 short block. Never said my TBI was anywhere near stock. It made 370 hp at the tires. It had a 2bbl 502 marine GM TBI and stock TBI short block. Vortec heads that had 2.05/1.60 valves, custom ground Reed roller cam, edelbrock victor jr 2bbl intake and thorley tri-y headers into 2.5" dual exhaust with a X-pipe.

That being said I also ran a simpler build with ZZ4 heads, ZZ4 cam and a performer rpm intake that rocked and stomped.

I also ran the same TBI 350 with a Weiand 177 blower at 10 psi with the stock heads and cam. With the stock top end and blower it put down 330 hp at the tires and over 400 ft/lbs at the tires. I only pulled the blower because I smoked 2 700r4s and 2 4L60Es that were all built in about 3,000 miles each. Blower made awesome torque even down at 1,500 rpm.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having pulled the same 18 1/2 TT all over the Rockies at altitude for the past 25 years, with GM trucks ranging from a 76 K10 with factory 400 SB, to my 06 TD, the TBI had very good torque off idle, but much over 3200 RPM's while climbing the pass it wouldn't go any faster. I could turn more RPM's, but it didn't go any faster regardless of what gear I chose.

I own a 01 Sierra 1500 4wd 4L60E/3.73's with the 5.3 (and it currently has 96k on it), and it does not pull the trailer up the pass quite as easily as my Vortec 5.7/4L60E/3.73's K1500s. The 5.7's have a wider power band, and as far as I can tell the torque rating of the 5.3 is a bit optimistic.

When I went from the factory P245's to LT265's on the 01 Sierra, it slowed acceleration down quite a bit. When empty, even with the LT265's, the 5.3 will beat my 5.7's stoplight to stoplight. But when it comes to pulling the pass the 5.7's do better, and the trans doesn't hunt and peck through the gears as much, and they do it with 600-800 lower RPM's.

I also owned a 2017 Silverado 4wd CCSB with the 5.3. Nice truck, drove it for several months and flipped it for a profit. This truck is a LOT heavier than my GMT400 ECSBs. But even that doesn't account for how it didn't go up the pass as well as I expected. I'm a bit skeptical of GM's HP and torque rating of those current 5.3 motors.

The newest 5.3s are also dogs. The older Titans with 317 net hp rating walked all over them. With an airaid mxp intake, magnaflow muffler and hypertech programmer it would eat a stock Hemi or 6.2L for lunch. My 2012 put down 307 rwhp @ 4,900 rpm and 396 rwtq @ 2,900. Quickest 1/4 mile pass in that 2012 with an open diff and P305/50R20s was a 13.97 @ 99 on a 2.01s 60'.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lets be real here. that old saying of cars and trucks are getting into the realm of house money is no more. this year house money is mansion money regardless of what you buy
My mom just bought a 3 bedroom, 1 bath in a small town that is around 1,000 sq ft with a 1,000 ft covered slab next to it on a 1/4 acre lot with a survey and title policy for 59K. Not in bad shape either and all the mechanicals are newer.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Lets be real here. that old saying of cars and trucks are getting into the realm of house money is no more. this year house money is mansion money regardless of what you buy

You're buying in the wrong place. My house has exploded in value. When I move, I plan to use the capital gains to nab a couple investment property down payments and, if necessary, put a shop up at the next place. $500k for a tiny house on a postage stamp lawn can suck my left nut and make the right one jealous.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
You're buying in the wrong place. My house has exploded in value. When I move, I plan to use the capital gains to nab a couple investment property down payments and, if necessary, put a shop up at the next place. $500k for a tiny house on a postage stamp lawn can suck my left nut and make the right one jealous.

Good luck If you aren't in the house market now its too late. first of all Yea you will profit but unless you plan to hide out the market storm for who knows how long your going to take those same gains and give it to the next man. the last offer I lost we put a escalation clause of 15K and still got over sold. its not uncommon around here for people to pay 10-20-30 k over asking. the problem is those same people laughing leaving the bank without a place to live are crying when they sit at the next closing table. I had the same energy you did. your screwed no matter what you do you will overpay at least around here. the price per sq foot in some areas has nearly doubled. one person paid 1,000,000 over asking. the only way you might make a good deal if you can call it that is a all cash offer and a close of 10 days. which you take the risk of no inspections (typically)

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
My mom just bought a 3 bedroom, 1 bath in a small town that is around 1,000 sq ft with a 1,000 ft covered slab next to it on a 1/4 acre lot with a survey and title policy for 59K. Not in bad shape either and all the mechanicals are newer.

Area dependent of course . but where is that? 59k???? is it in Chicago?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Good luck If you aren't in the house market now its too late. first of all Yea you will profit but unless you plan to hide out the market storm for who knows how long your going to take those same gains and give it to the next man. the last offer I lost we put a escalation clause of 15K and still got over sold. its not uncommon around here for people to pay 10-20-30 k over asking. the problem is those same people laughing leaving the bank without a place to live are crying when they sit at the next closing table. I had the same energy you did. your screwed no matter what you do you will overpay at least around here. the price per sq foot in some areas has nearly doubled. one person paid 1,000,000 over asking. the only way you might make a good deal if you can call it that is a all cash offer and a close of 10 days. which you take the risk of no inspections (typically)

No, values back home in MI haven't gone nuts (can get a livable house for $85k), and even in the Dayton, OH area I just checked today and there's a house up in the perfect spot for $330k on about 5 acres with a 30x40 shop. My 6500 sq/ft lot with a 1400 sq/ft house here in CO would go for 400-450k in a bidding war. I don't have much interest in buying a bigger place where I am. The question is when is my escape? Next year or 5 years down the road? The latter would be better. I don't have complete control of my destiny being in the military, we'll see how it unfolds for me. I intend to put a down payment on an investment property or 2 when I leave here and I'll still likely have enough for a down payment on a reasonably priced home and be able to pay cash to build a shop if I don't end up in an area like I'm leaving.