Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROCKSTAR

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post. So please take it easy on me...

Anyways, I'm tying to find someway to add horsepower to my truck. The engine unfortunately seized up and now I'll have to buy a new one. So, I looked into doing an LS swap; but according to several shops (one being a Chevy dealership), it cant be done. So, is there anything I can do? Lets say money isn't the issue, as I plan on really making this my project baby. I am just starting to be more mechanically inclined, so please no super complex lingo (sorry). Well hope I can get some information, whatever you may have. Please and of course, thank you!!!

1998 Chevy K3500
7.4L V8 Vortex (454 big block)
Trim: Silverado; Crew Cab; Long-bed
VIN letter: J

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anything can be done with money.

I daily drove a turbo 5.3 1991 C1500 for several years.

I've LS swapped those trucks, mustangs, crown vics, F150s , 1953 3400 chevy trucks and even a Suzuki Samurai

Whats realistic budget?

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you just riding around or towing heavy?

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rebuilt 7.4l does well with towing.(for a gasoline engine)

Stock lq4 6.0l truck engine:
HP: 300 at 4400 RPM
Torque: 360 lb-ft at 4000RPM

Stock lq9 6.0l higher compression version:
HP: 345 at 5200 RPM
Torque: 380 lb-ft at 4000RPM

Stock 7.4l vortec:
HP: 290 at 4000 RPM
Torque: 410 lb-ft at 3200RPM

Just doing a fresh lq9(rebuilt) swap with a shop doing the work, it would eat up a lot of the 10k budget. Going with a used pull out motor would be cheaper.

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have zero experience with LS's, but if your gonna be towing, find another 454. Torque rules for towing, and sorry but the LS doesn't have it like a 454 does. Yeah you can build it for more, and then comes in at 5k RPM. Dunno bout you, but I don't wanna hear that for hours on end. (well maybe lol but will get old) I have 3 Vortec 454s, could have bought another one for $500, and local yard has 2 L21 454s, and theres more popping up on marketplace. I'd rebuild the 454, if possible, or look for another one to rebuild. It will prolly be cheaper than an LS swap, easier, and pull better.

WV_Dave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will a vortec intake manifold bolt to a HT502 crate engine?

No idea how hard it would be to find one in stock though.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A) anyone who tells you an LS swap "can't be done" is full of shìt. Don't go back to those places. LS swapping stuff is super common.
B) put another 454 back in it and be done. Get a warmed up one (cam, heads, headers) and a tune.
No offense, but it seems you don't know enough about this stuff to do it yourself, and an engine swap probably isn't the best first thing to attempt. Buying another motor, taking your existing one out and putting another one just like it back in is far more simple.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will a vortec intake manifold bolt to a HT502 crate engine?

No idea how hard it would be to find one in stock though.
It will work, but will run out of breath around 4500rpm. Edelbrock pro flo xt intake is an option. Or just keep it low rpm bound and get a cam accordingly

Last edited: