Missing RPO codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgive me is this is the place to post.
The decal for RPO codes in my glove box is unreadable. Is there a way to find out what I have by VIN # someplace?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@1ton-o-fun has offered to check for members. FWIU compnine.com doesn't go back pre-92 or there about.
And coincidentally, neither does GM. For whatever reason, vehicles that I was unable to run through compnine, a friend at the dealer was unable to run, as well. This was mostly earlier 400's but also included a couple of later ones which was surprising.

Richard

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read that an email to [email protected] might get you a build sheet. I thought at one time I paid a site on the internet for the RPO codes by VIN. I don't remember the site or what I did with the results. A smart person would have saved it on the computer in a file. I sent an email off to [email protected] and see what happens. I will try @1ton-o-fun if that doesn't work. Thank you for your help!

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Forgive me is this is the place to post.
The decal for RPO codes in my glove box is unreadable. Is there a way to find out what I have by VIN # someplace?

This link below does a pretty good job of decoding my 1999 K2500.

Looking over the list of RPO codes it reports for mine, it seems to be accurate. There are 62 codes on my glove box sticker/label and that site has the same number for my VIN.

The description of the some of the codes may be a little off.

For mine @ free vin decoder it says UQ3 is "AUDIO POWER BOOSTER"

Then HERE it says UQ3 is "SPEAKER SYSTEM,PERFORMANCE ENHANCED AUDIO".

Might want to double check some of those descriptions.

Best of luck.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
The Gm heritage center may be able to help, but us in normal GM land can't run anything older than a specific break point to get a full build sheet. I can't run my 95's VIN and get one. There are a few companies that have the ability to reproduce your SPID label(glove box label).

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another possible resource may be your public library.
With my library card I can access Chiltons online and Mitchells if I go to the library.
Some of the branches still have a rack of 90s Mitchell books.
Its a great and free resource and has the advantage that you need to enter make model year etc before you get any results.
That hopefully weeds out year to year errors.
The other thing to keep in mind when looking up any RPO code is to make sure you are looking at the code for that specific year and that you are looking at a truck code and not a car code.
GM reused RPO codes all the time.
The best example of this is the great "G80" differential debate.
GM used G80 for any traction control type of differential.
But a G80 in a truck is entirely different than a G80 in a car of that same year.
Ive also seen this happen in paint codes.
And, one last possibility.
My old 89 one ton had an entirely unreadable RPO sticker.
A friend of mine set up a tripod and took a series of photographs with his digital camera and inported those files into some type of imaging software and produced a clear and readable copy.
I havent the faintest idea how he did it other than something about reflectivety and background scaling and other things I dont understand.
So I called him and he said that it is worth the attempt even with a cell phone these days as long as you have it set on a tripod and set the timer and get out of the truck before the picture is taken.
To eliminate motion and blur.
And try it under different lighting conditions.
Then take that file into some type of editing software and see what you get.
He uses this same technollogy to verify paintings and antiques.
And he says any dope with a decent camera can do it.
I think that is worth trying.

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the free-vin-decoder link from matillac and it work. I saved the results to my phone for future reference. Unfortunately I found I have 3;73 gears and not the 4:11. Thanks everyone for help.

1993GMCC2500SLX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the free-vin-decoder link from matillac and it work. I saved the results to my phone for future reference. Unfortunately I found I have 3;73 gears and not the 4:11. Thanks everyone for help.

I consider yours a very important question to me especially considering my early 94 Chevy Silverado Z71 is a farm truck the RPO codes in the glovebox are also worn off..